Elvis / Morrissey appreciation thread by Eric & TTC

A

Anonymous

Wow! I didn't know that Morrissey has become a Christian. This is such wonderful news if it is true. Do you know when he became a Christian?

I knew that Morrissey had been brought up in the Roman Catholic Church. Do you know which Christian denomination he is these days?

I was saved in 2011 that was when I came to know Lord Jesus Christ and came to faith. Jesus is my Lord and Saviour and also my best friend. I'm a born-again, Bible-believing Christian. I guess people would call me a Protestant but I'm not a Calvinist though or into the Arminianism doctrine.

We call people who are not Christians, non-believers, not saved who have yet to come to faith the "lost" as in poor "lost souls" who are lost in their sin.

It is wonderful if Morrissey is now a brother in Christ he could use his celebrity to help with spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ what we call the "good news". The gospel just means the "good news".

The famous 1960s English singer Helen Shapiro is now a Christian she spreads the gospel and she has no interest in fame and fortune anymore. Helen Shapiro was brought up in the Jewish faith she is now a Messianic Jew.

God bless you brother for posting this really good news! :)
Hey there. Unfortunately, it looks like this 'GodEmperorMorrissey' person is just joshing you. Morrissey is likely not a Christian. I wouldn't take his comments seriously. Judging from other posts I have read from 'GodEmperorMorrissey,' this information appears to come from someone who is more of an agitator than anything else. I honestly would have liked to have heard his honest opinion on a few of these things from other posts he has posted/commented on.

In any case, it is too bad there is no interest on the Elvis-Morrissey topic...at least for nostalgia's sake. But it is what it is, heh-heh. I really came on this site on account of this specific topic. Otherwise, you won't find me here. Morrissey is more likely to be irreligious, at least based on his track record in the past. At the present, yes, it would be great if he came to know the Lord (i.e., salvation) as one would hope of anyone regardless of celebrity. But, only time will tell as one can only take this comment with a grain of salt as one can only judge both his comment or Morrissey's salvation by one's fruit (for the most part).

It is interesting what you had mentioned about Calvinism. In fact, there is a Christian author by the name of Robert Congdon, of Congdon Ministries International, who has written extensively on the dangers of 'The New Calvinism.' You will find him thoroughly and Biblically sound. I highly recommend him without reservation. You had also mentioned of Messianic Judaism...three people at the top of my head I also recommend who are Messianic believers: Arnold Fruchtenbaum, Michael Rydelnik and Jay Sekulow. The first two are true scholars and the latter a defender of persecuted believers. Hey, you take care now. The Lord bless. -- Eric

Hey there. Unfortunately, it looks like this 'GodEmperorMorrissey' person is just joshing you. Morrissey is likely not a Christian. I wouldn't take his comments seriously. Judging from other posts I have read from 'GodEmperorMorrissey,' this information appears to come from someone who is more of an agitator than anything else. I honestly would have liked to have heard his honest opinion on a few of these things from other posts he has posted/commented on.

In any case, it is too bad there is no interest on the Elvis-Morrissey topic...at least for nostalgia's sake. But it is what it is, heh-heh. I really came on this site on account of this specific topic. Otherwise, you won't find me here. Morrissey is more likely to be irreligious, at least based on his track record in the past. At the present, yes, it would be great if he came to know the Lord (i.e., salvation) as one would hope of anyone regardless of celebrity. But, only time will tell as one can only take this comment with a grain of salt as one can only judge both his comment or Morrissey's salvation by one's fruit (for the most part).

It is interesting what you had mentioned about Calvinism. In fact, there is a Christian author by the name of Robert Congdon, of Congdon Ministries International, who has written extensively on the dangers of 'The New Calvinism.' You will find him thoroughly and Biblically sound. I highly recommend him without reservation. You had also mentioned of Messianic Judaism...three people at the top of my head I also recommend who are Messianic believers: Arnold Fruchtenbaum, Michael Rydelnik and Jay Sekulow. The first two are true scholars and the latter a defender of persecuted believers. Hey, you take care now. The Lord bless. -- Eric
Thank you so much for your reply Eric. I'm a fan of Elvis Presley and also a fan of Morrissey. I find the comparisons and also differences between the two singers really interesting. You can post as much as you want about this subject.

I'm a Christian and it isn't clear to me that Morrissey is a Christian. At the start of this video it looks like Morrissey is saying that he is a Christian:

I like Pastor Bob Joyce he reminds me a bit of Elvis Presley when he sings. Thank you for your recommendations I will check them out. I believe in the "Eternal security" doctrine, also known as "once saved, always saved".

Helen Shapiro was a famous singer here in England in the 1960s. She is now a Messianic Jew. She still sings but mainly only Christian music these days. She has no interest in fame and fortune anymore. She seems to have a connection with Elvis Presley or maybe she is just a fan of Elvis Presley. I like her voice. This is her website there are some good links on there to do with the Christian faith but also about health issues as she has a thyroid condition see link:

https://www.mannamusic.co.uk/

It is interesting what you had mentioned about Calvinism. In fact, there is a Christian author by the name of Robert Congdon, of Congdon Ministries International, who has written extensively on the dangers of 'The New Calvinism.' You will find him thoroughly and Biblically sound. I highly
recommend him without reservation. You had also mentioned of Messianic Judaism...three people at the top of my head I also recommend who are Messianic believers: Arnold Fruchtenbaum, Michael Rydelnik and Jay Sekulow. The first two are true scholars and the latter a defender of persecuted believers. Hey, you take care now. The Lord bless. -- Eric

The truth is agitating and yes Morrissey is a Christian. Create an account before you go trying to poke at people

Thank you so much for your reply Eric. I'm a fan of Elvis Presley and also a fan of Morrissey. I find the comparisons and also differences between the two singers really interesting. You can post as much as you want about this subject.

I'm a Christian and it isn't clear to me that Morrissey is a Christian. At the start of this video it looks like Morrissey is saying that he is a Christian:

I like Pastor Bob Joyce he reminds me a bit of Elvis Presley when he sings. Thank you for your recommendations I will check them out. I believe in the "Eternal security" doctrine, also known as "once saved, always saved".

Helen Shapiro was a famous singer here in England in the 1960s. She is now a Messianic Jew. She still sings but mainly only Christian music these days. She has no interest in fame and fortune anymore. She seems to have a connection with Elvis Presley or maybe she is just a fan of Elvis Presley. I like her voice. This is her website there are some good links on there to do with the Christian faith but also about health issues as she has a thyroid condition see link:

I would love for Morrissey to cover Elvis's 'Long Black Limousine'

The truth is agitating and yes Morrissey is a Christian. Create an account before you go trying to poke at people
You mean one must first create an account before one pokes at people? I am certainly not one to poke at people but to create an account to do so is sad if not very classy.

I will say this though...Morrissey as a truly a 'born again' Christian...I cannot say...but I am also not convinced. Of course, professing to be a 'Christian' does not make one a Christian. It is like saying (as this illustration is often overused but true) that 'being in a garage does not make one a car.' Yes, this is a silly analogy but makes the point . So, yes, I don't mean 'Christian' in the general sense of the word. If one is to repent of their sins acknowledging Christ as their Lord and Savior then, yes, that is the beginning steps to a new life as a new believer and follower of Christ. The rest takes work. Sanctification. That is, repenting and turning from one's sin on a day to day basis. This is the battle and it takes work. The battle between the flesh and the spirit. Unfortunately, we live in a day and day where there are too many 'nominal' Christians. That is, Christians in name only who "have a form of godliness but deny the power" thereof. (2 Timothy 3:5).

Yes, the human condition in general is a struggle and is most people's source of pain on a day to day basis, but the difference? It just takes a lot more work once one truly becomes 'born again.' It takes work and it takes commitment and a true 'born again' Christian cannot compromise on these matters or points of contention. If what you say is true, only time will tell and will certainly reveal itself in its own time. But, at this point in time, I am just not convinced. I do hope for the best though. Accept my apologies otherwise. By the way, Elvis' 'Long Black Limousine' performed by Morrissey would be a very good choice as would Elvis singing 'Trouble Loves Me' likewise on the other hand (as someone had previously posted). I agree on both. Well, you take care now.

-- Eric

Thank you for your response. Yes, Pastor Bob Joyce does remind one of Elvis Presley when he sings. So does his voice as he speaks to the congregation. I recommend watching his sermons on You Tube as he has his own channel. He is Biblical and addresses the simplicity of the Gospel, no more and no less. This is what is sorely lacking in today's church that lacks conviction of all things. By the way, briefly, regarding the Calvinist and Arminian topic. In the past, I thought if it was possible that one could be a 'Calminian.' You would be surprised by all the terms associated with attempting to find a middle ground between these two theological views/camps. In fact, there is an article that discusses this very topic here: http://dictionaryofchristianese.com/calminian-armalvinist/

So it was then that someone had pointed out to me that it does not help being bogged down in theological debate, squabble or outright pettiness, really, on such an important issue. The point in the matter is that such matters rest solely on God and God alone regardless of what we do or think or do not do or think for that matter. We don't need to help God along, heh-heh. We don't choose God (at our convenience) nor does
God choose us (because we are special). He is sovereign over all things and all things alone. As simple as that.
I really don't have a leg to stand on personally. So, yes, both questions were answered. This individual merely pointed out that he is not a Calminian but simply a 'Biblicist.' That is, a Biblical Christian. After all, this is all we can do when it comes down to it...that is, rest our hope and assurance on the Word of God. "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword..." (Hebrews 4:12, KJV).

By the way, thank you for the information on Helen Shapiro. I checked her out on You Tube and certainly like her voice as well. I will certainly check out more of her tracks and, particularly, her Christian music. She certainly does have an Elvis vibe in the way that she carries her voice. This is what I like in artists who can sing in such a fashion. Call me old school. This is why I find both Elvis and Morrissey comparable in this regard but, at the same time, also never entirely meeting eye to eye as they are both moving in circles from each other. Haha. So, you are right there when it comes to differences between the two. The similarity and contrast between the two is intriguing. As for Morrissey being a Christian, perhaps you can see my comment in the other post so I don't repeat myself here. It isn't clear to me either. I will say this though...just from what I gather from these few seconds in this video: There really isn't enough evidence or information. There just isn't enough evidence 'beyond reasonable doubt,' as they say, with absolute certainty for a substantial let alone qualified response. It is unclear. If this is the case...that is, he is a 'born again' Christian...then there is so very little said, let alone testimony, from someone who has recently come to the Lord for one. I still cannot tell if he is merely being flippant, mocking or sincere. Ambiguity or 'multiple ambiguity' is one Morrissey's more well known traits or characteristics. So, I really can't say. I do hope for the best as time will only tell as I have said in an other post. Only then and until then, I cannot say. Well, I best be going now. Hey, you take care of yourself and God bless.

-- Eric

:rolleyes:

o_O

Skinny , "Eric" is not white enough, why dont go on and call yourself "Biff" when making these parrot posts.
:straightface:

o_O

Skinny , "Eric" is not white enough, why dont go on and call yourself "Biff" when making these parrot posts.
Sorry, I hope I do not detect facetiousness but, yes, this is my name. I was born here in these United States of America. I am from El Paso, Texas. Home of 'Chico's Tacos,' heh-heh, and sadly the more recent Walmart shootings. Have you heard about that? And, yes, I am 'Hispanic' according to the general consensus (of things -- ?!) and the public forum but as American as they come. Just like any Irish-American, French-American, so on and so on, and so forth as one would find in this forum -- what not. White, black, brown, red -- ad nauseam. There are so many ways to tackle the issue. How far are you willing to go to discuss these things? Nevertheless, I don't hide behind an avatar like most people do. 'Anonymous' is the extent of my cover along with my real name. I just don't provide my full name for security reasons, otherwise it would not matter to me. Below I do have something that might be of interest. Reminds me much of what Elvis was also capable of as this individual sang with the Three Tenors. Heck, even George Strait pulled it off to some degree. The song is translated, as I understand it, "Who Is It That Loses A Star." Enjoy

-- Eric

o_O

Again...who is this Skinny? Not me. Like I said in the other post, I have been trying to lose weight. As for the 'Eric is not white enough' or 'super white name Eric'...what is this all about? I saw that other post there and response. I was hoping you (and anyone else) have read these posts here and the one I posted at the other topic forum posted under the 'General Discussion' topics, "It's not about politics." I was really hoping for a thoughtful discussion on that topic. More so, I was hoping for an interest in this Elvis-Morrissey topic but it seems there is no interest. I was redirected by this 'Skinny' subject, although I prefer this subject on the Elvis-Morrissey topic. However though, I am very grateful to the one 'Anonymous' person who responded otherwise. Thank you. I will certainly take a glance at more Helen Shapiro videos on You Tube and just might keep posting those Elvis-Morrissey similarities...well, at least in the song varieties spread throughout my homemade Elvis-Morrissey collection, that is. Again, thank you very much. The Lord bless...

-- Eric from El Paso, Texas

Again...who is this Skinny? Not me. Like I said in the other post, I have been trying to lose weight. As for the 'Eric is not white enough' or 'super white name Eric'...what is this all about? I saw that other post there and response. I was hoping you (and anyone else) have read these posts here and the one I posted at the other topic forum posted under the 'General Discussion' topics, "It's not about politics." I was really hoping for a thoughtful discussion on that topic. More so, I was hoping for an interest in this Elvis-Morrissey topic but it seems there is no interest. I was redirected by this 'Skinny' subject, although I prefer this subject on the Elvis-Morrissey topic. However though, I am very grateful to the one 'Anonymous' person who responded otherwise. Thank you. I will certainly take a glance at more Helen Shapiro videos on You Tube and just might keep posting those Elvis-Morrissey similarities...well, at least in the song varieties spread throughout my homemade Elvis-Morrissey collection, that is. Again, thank you very much. The Lord bless...

-- Eric from El Paso, Texas
Hi Eric,

Vegan Cro Spirit is talking about Uncle Skinny who posts on here. Uncle Skinny is a well known registered member on here.

I think that Uncle Skinny is a white English guy where as you are a Mexican who lives in America.

Please see the "It's not about Politics" thread.

Eric is a cool name is reminds me of the famous male guitarist Eric Clapton or the female singer Erykah Badu.

Please do keep on posting about the Elvis Presley-Morrissey similarities/comparisons! I'm interested in this.

For you "An Evening with Helen Shapiro":

Sorry, I hope I do not detect facetiousness but, yes, this is my name. I was born here in these United States of America. I am from El Paso, Texas. Home of 'Chico's Tacos,' heh-heh, and sadly the more recent Walmart shootings. Have you heard about that? And, yes, I am 'Hispanic' according to the general consensus (of things -- ?!) and the public forum but as American as they come. Just like any Irish-American, French-American, so on and so on, and so forth as one would find in this forum -- what not. White, black, brown, red -- ad nauseam. There are so many ways to tackle the issue. How far are you willing to go to discuss these things? Nevertheless, I don't hide behind an avatar like most people do. 'Anonymous' is the extent of my cover along with my real name. I just don't provide my full name for security reasons, otherwise it would not matter to me. Below I do have something that might be of interest. Reminds me much of what Elvis was also capable of as this individual sang with the Three Tenors. Heck, even George Strait pulled it off to some degree. The song is translated, as I understand it, "Who Is It That Loses A Star." Enjoy

-- Eric

so you are from 'El Paso', Skinny? Good touch.o_O
home of "Chicos Tacos"? like the "Hermanos Pollos" from Breaking Bad? :lbf:

so you are from 'El Paso', Skinny? Good touch.o_O
home of "Chicos Tacos"? like the "Hermanos Pollos" from Breaking Bad? :lbf:
Please read my most recent post in the "It's not about politics" topic in the 'General Discussion' forum. It may shed some light that I am not Skinny? Again, I am trying to lose weight...of which I am just joshing you, of course, although, I could lose a few pounds.

Sorry...'Los Pollos Hermanos" is about as common as fried chicken in the Southern U.S. and not unique to El Paso. Chico's Tacos is unique in the sense that it is not Mexican nor is it American. It is truly local and uniquely El Pasoan. The restaurant is more of a diner. They offer hamburgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese, and a few other items and that is about it. A very limited menu. This is why it is more of a diner and not Mexican cuisine or Mexican food (as many people who visit often refer to it). In fact, it is is more American and certainly El Pasoan. But what 'Chico's Tacos' is known for is its 'rolled tacos' and can be an acquired taste. It is essentially a hard shell taco but only rolled into a tube-like shape (hence the Spanish word -- flauta which means 'flute') in a unique chile, tomato based sauce topped with 'cheddar cheese' (and a recent change). This is the only way they can be described. They are often bought in single orders of 3, or double orders of 6. Again, it is neither Mexican nor American but an El Paso tradition. You either love them or hate them. They are what most Americans outside of El Paso would probably call 'taquitos.' But they are certainly better than what is known as taquitos but not as good as the real deal in what is called 'flautas' (often topped with sour cream, guacamole and red chile). Aaron Sanchez would be the first to tell you about 'Chico's Tacos' whenever he comes home to El Paso. You should check him out at You Tube. Well, this is your El Paso-Spanish lesson for the day. Thank you, vegan cro spirit 555, for your interest.

-- Eric

Please read my most recent post in the "It's not about politics" topic in the 'General Discussion' forum. It may shed some light that I am not Skinny? Again, I am trying to lose weight...of which I am just joshing you, of course, although, I could lose a few pounds.

Sorry...'Los Pollos Hermanos" is about as common as fried chicken in the Southern U.S. and not unique to El Paso. Chico's Tacos is unique in the sense that it is not Mexican nor is it American. It is truly local and uniquely El Pasoan. The restaurant is more of a diner. They offer hamburgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese, and a few other items and that is about it. A very limited menu. This is why it is more of a diner and not Mexican cuisine or Mexican food (as many people who visit often refer to it). In fact, it is is more American and certainly El Pasoan. But what 'Chico's Tacos' is known for is its 'rolled tacos' and can be an acquired taste. It is essentially a hard shell taco but only rolled into a tube-like shape (hence the Spanish word -- flauta which means 'flute') in a unique chile, tomato based sauce topped with 'cheddar cheese' (and a recent change). This is the only way they can be described. They are often bought in single orders of 3, or double orders of 6. Again, it is neither Mexican nor American but an El Paso tradition. You either love them or hate them. They are what most Americans outside of El Paso would probably call 'taquitos.' But they are certainly better than what is known as taquitos but not as good as the real deal in what is called 'flautas' (often topped with sour cream, guacamole and red chile). Aaron Sanchez would be the first to tell you about 'Chico's Tacos' whenever he comes home to El Paso. You should check him out at You Tube. Well, this is your El Paso-Spanish lesson for the day. Thank you, vegan cro spirit 555, for your interest.

-- Eric

not Mexican but called taquitos? Skinny all the puppet dunces reading are eating this up.:lbf:
send a box of those 'flautas' to surface and left nut. they go wild over the cheddar cheese sauce.:lbf:
double orders of 6:lbf:

Hi Eric,

Vegan Cro Spirit is talking about Uncle Skinny who posts on here. Uncle Skinny is a well known registered member on here.

I think that Uncle Skinny is a white English guy where as you are a Mexican who lives in America.

Eric is a cool name is reminds me of the famous male guitarist Eric Clapton or the female singer Erykah Badu.

Please do keep on posting about the Elvis Presley-Morrissey similarities/comparisons! I'm interested in this.

Thank you. I will write you in a short while in the other post but one thing is certainly true in what you stated. There is a discrepancy regarding the Jewish and Muslim connection indeed. The dots certainly do not connect obviously. I will elaborate more on that later. Of course, assuming that this someone who told you (that is, someone reliable, I suppose, as I don't have that luxury) that this Uncle Skinny is Jewish. I have no idea who this Uncle Skinny is nor have I seen any of Uncle Skinny's posts by name but I have glanced at 'The Truth''s posts, however. It is likely a connection. I have also seen the reference 'Un-Truth' as well. I will write you in a little while, but something seems fishy regarding this 'vegan cro spirit 555' individual. All of this is almost conspiratorial really. I, too, have also picked up on the discrepancies and inconsistencies in the 'cro spirit 555' posts. I even saw a 444 after that name somewhere in the posts. Is it more than one person, et. al.? It is problematic. In any case, I think I realized that the best one can do is ignore this 'cro spirit 555' individual and not respond to his or her posts. At least I won't any longer. It is neither helpful nor fruitful. I certainly do not want to waste my time and energy in continuing to do so. In any case, I will get to you in a short while and elaborate more on the other matter. It is nice to know there is another supporter of the Jewish State of Israel. I will probably post the Elvis Presley-Morrissey similarites write up sometime tonight that I gathered several years ago from a handful of music reference books stored in my collection. Very, very interesting. Until then. The Lord bless you.

-- Eric

Thank you. I will write you in a short while in the other post but one thing is certainly true in what you stated. There is a discrepancy regarding the Jewish and Muslim connection indeed. The dots certainly do not connect obviously. I will elaborate more on that later. Of course, assuming that this someone who told you (that is, someone reliable, I suppose, as I don't have that luxury) that this Uncle Skinny is Jewish. I have no idea who this Uncle Skinny is nor have I seen any of Uncle Skinny's posts by name but I have glanced at 'The Truth''s posts, however. It is likely a connection. I have also seen the reference 'Un-Truth' as well. I will write you in a little while, but something seems fishy regarding this 'vegan cro spirit 555' individual. All of this is almost conspiratorial really. I, too, have also picked up on the discrepancies and inconsistencies in the 'cro spirit 555' posts. I even saw a 444 after that name somewhere in the posts. Is it more than one person, et. al.? It is problematic. In any case, I think I realized that the best one can do is ignore this 'cro spirit 555' individual and not respond to his or her posts. At least I won't any longer. It is neither helpful nor fruitful. I certainly do not want to waste my time and energy in continuing to do so. In any case, I will get to you in a short while and elaborate more on the other matter. It is nice to know there is another supporter of the Jewish State of Israel. I will probably post the Elvis Presley-Morrissey similarites write up sometime tonight that I gathered several years ago from a handful of music reference books stored in my collection. Very, very interesting. Until then. The Lord bless you.

-- Eric
FYI Vegan cro is harmless

-- Eric
Okay, Helen Shapiro fan, this is for you for the time being...too bad I don't have the pictures but it is late. The pictures are also comparable to one another.

Here are the following write-ups. Tell me if you see the similarities. By the way, you will see my emphasis within the brackets, of course, as I show my obvious 'bias' and favoritism for both artists, heh-heh.

First, Elvis Aron Presley:

musicHound rock (1996)
"...Presley inevitably drifted toward Las Vegas, gained much weight and became a parody of himself...[but] people sometimes forget that Presley - king of rock 'n' roll, movie star, tragic symbol of garish excess, paragon of moral decay, one of the best-selling pop artists of all time...actually was talented...he had an innate command of the stage and audience, and he was a terrific singer and interpreter...[effortlessly displaying an exceedingly powerful and versatile vocal range]."

All Music Guide (1997)
"Elvis Presley was the defining figure of rock 'n' roll music. He is the biggest record seller in history. During his lifetime, especially in the 1950s, he was the focal point for the emergence of rock 'n' roll culture, and he made some of the genre's seminal recordings. Since his death, he has become a pervasive American icon. [Though] Elvis Presley did not invent rock 'n' roll...[He] was the foremost popularizer of rock 'n' roll...[as] the name 'Elvis' became synonymous with the music itself."

New Musical Express (8/2/97)
"...His legend may be sullied and omnipresent, his music distorted and overly familiar and his life parodied and documented to a suffocating degree, but this...at least reminds you why he was the King and why his music meant so much."

Now, Steven Patrick Morrissey:

The New Trouser Press Record Guide (1989)
"...Morrissey and...[The Smiths] stand for the traditional values of selfishness, self-pity and the unbearable anguish of love...No other pop music act...has raised blatant self-absorption to such a high level."

musicHound rock (1996)
"[With incredible stage presence]...Morrissey became an icon for a legion of mournful followers. Blending angst with humor...swagger with impenetrable attitude...Many of his critics even suggest that he has turned into a caricature of his former self."

David Bret (1994)
"Britain's most articulate singer-songwriter...a complex individual whose lyrics opt for realism, wit...tension, and love...prefers not to sanitize, and...and has no time for the moon-June trivia which...is churned out...by so many of his contemporaries. [He] remains aloof, mysterious, enigmatic and reclusive - a philosophical, witty, ironic, hard-hitting individual who is one of his country's essential communicators, a living link between Victorian literary ideals and modern-day bed sit drama. His voice is...melancholy, that of a man who has experienced every emotion...[no other artist, since Elvis Presley, has displayed such emotion]. [Morrissey]...is the uncrowned, undisputed champion of the more complex aspects of the human condition, and as such quite possibly the most influential entertainer of his generation."

Well, there you go, Helen Shapiro fan. What do you think?

-- Eric

Skinny stumbled across some of 444 posts!!! Excuse me, "Eric from El Paso"doh:

Speaking of discrepancies,whats with the non hispanic hispanic from el paso that eats non mexican mexian tacos with chile, cheddar and many mexican spices and meats rolled up in them?:whip:

non fungi fungus anyone?:expressionless:

-- Eric
Uncle Skinny is a well known registered member on here. He used to be moderator on here.

https://www.morrissey-solo.com/members/uncleskinny.3/

Okay, Helen Shapiro fan, this is for you for the time being...too bad I don't have the pictures but it is late. The pictures are also comparable to one another.

Here are the following write-ups. Tell me if you see the similarities. By the way, you will see my emphasis within the brackets, of course, as I show my obvious 'bias' and favoritism for both artists, heh-heh.

First, Elvis Aron Presley:

musicHound rock (1996)
"...Presley inevitably drifted toward Las Vegas, gained much weight and became a parody of himself...[but] people sometimes forget that Presley - king of rock 'n' roll, movie star, tragic symbol of garish excess, paragon of moral decay, one of the best-selling pop artists of all time...actually was talented...he had an innate command of the stage and audience, and he was a terrific singer and interpreter...[effortlessly displaying an exceedingly powerful and versatile vocal range]."

All Music Guide (1997)
"Elvis Presley was the defining figure of rock 'n' roll music. He is the biggest record seller in history. During his lifetime, especially in the 1950s, he was the focal point for the emergence of rock 'n' roll culture, and he made some of the genre's seminal recordings. Since his death, he has become a pervasive American icon. [Though] Elvis Presley did not invent rock 'n' roll...[He] was the foremost popularizer of rock 'n' roll...[as] the name 'Elvis' became synonymous with the music itself."

New Musical Express (8/2/97)
"...His legend may be sullied and omnipresent, his music distorted and overly familiar and his life parodied and documented to a suffocating degree, but this...at least reminds you why he was the King and why his music meant so much."

Now, Steven Patrick Morrissey:

The New Trouser Press Record Guide (1989)
"...Morrissey and...[The Smiths] stand for the traditional values of selfishness, self-pity and the unbearable anguish of love...No other pop music act...has raised blatant self-absorption to such a high level."

musicHound rock (1996)
"[With incredible stage presence]...Morrissey became an icon for a legion of mournful followers. Blending angst with humor...swagger with impenetrable attitude...Many of his critics even suggest that he has turned into a caricature of his former self."

David Bret (1994)
"Britain's most articulate singer-songwriter...a complex individual whose lyrics opt for realism, wit...tension, and love...prefers not to sanitize, and...has no time for the moon-June trivia which...is churned out...by so many of his contemporaries. [He] remains aloof, mysterious, enigmatic and reclusive - a philosophical, witty, ironic, hard-hitting individual who is one of his country's essential communicators, a living link between Victorian literary ideals and modern-day bed sit drama. His voice is...melancholy, that of a man who has experienced every emotion...[no other artist, since Elvis Presley, has displayed such emotion]. [Morrissey]...is the uncrowned, undisputed champion of the more complex aspects of the human condition, and as such quite possibly the most influential entertainer of his generation."

Well, there you go, Helen Shapiro fan. What do you think?

-- Eric
Something of interest a year ago this day. It is interesting to note that 2 of these legends are no longer with us. Morrissey, whom is still quite alive, is uniquely part of this legendary tribute of accomplished artists now gone. True respect. The tribute alone speaks volumes about Morrissey as a singer and what he has accomplished as an artist. It is a nice touch seeing 'The Man In Black,' Johnny Cash, in the middle.

http://eventbrite.com/e/elvis-cash-...nta-fe-springs-swap-meet-tickets-48233990163#

-- Eric

Hi Eric,

I think I have all the information I need on this 'clique.' I am sure you have since read my other posts both here and the 'It's not about politics' thread by now. So, how did you like the Elvis-Morrissey comparisons I gathered from those music reference books? I do find the two uniquely similar in this respect. Eerily familiar, yet distant from the other. A kind of kindred spirits that just don't meet eye to eye. Really, a contradiction in terms.

Yeah, I like my name. Thank you. I remember a long time ago when friends of the family had gone to Hawaii and bought me a souvenir of my name in Hawaiian which had a unique quality to it -- Elika. Haha. So, you have Elika on the one hand and Erik the Red on the other. Yes, crazy. But I like my name. In fact, my middle name is unique as well but I won't write it here. Haha. It is short but sweet. I do have a kind of a Bohemian full name for the most part, but no I am not a Heinz 57 like, let's say, a Lou Diamond Phillips or a Keanu Reeves or any other handful of those Hollywood celebrities that have that kind of cultural backdrop.

As for my last name, I will say this...I have searched the meaning behind my last name in the last several years (that started out from a personal curiosity) and, yes, ironically, the origin and roots of my last name found its way into the Sephardic department. In fact, I had taken an interest in the work of Dell Sanchez ('Out From Hiding: Evidences of Sephardic Roots Among Latinos') in this little research quest of mine in the past. But mostly a cursory view of the topic on the Internet in general. But, more recently, the work of Juan Marcos Bejarano Gutierrez has drawn my interest. But I keep this interest to a minimum. I do not find the topic of genealogy important. In fact, the Scriptures (1 Timothy 1:4 ; Titus 3:9) even speak of its pettiness and triviality. It, in fact, reminds me of these very forums we write here and all those 'such forums' dispersed throughout the Internet. Haha. Sigh. Ah, well.

Nevertheless, my familiarity of the topic stems from the fact that I live in an area rich in 'Sephardic' roots. El Paso, Texas is sandwiched between the Nation of Old Mexico to the south and the U.S. State of New Mexico to the north -- all rich in Sephardic history. Strangely enough, the topic of Messianic Judaism drew me to this whole issue of 'Sephardim' of all things. It is interesting nevertheless. So, the topic of Messianic Jews (i.e., the Hebrew Roots movement, et. al.) and the various ministries of Messianic believers naturally fall in place as a believer. The nation of Israel is a given. So...the topics as they relate to Israel -- such as Replacement Theology or, more sadly, the BDS movement (as it has found its way into the church) are topics that are most especially disconcerting and heartbreaking as a believer. I will talk to you again. You take care now. God bless.

-- Eric

P.S. By the way, the 'Helen Shapiro' You Tube link does not work as it is blocked here in the States. But I will search it out on the Internet. Thank you for sending it nevertheless.

Back
Top Bottom