Elvis Costello mentions Morrissey in Interview

W

White Howard

From The Times today.

So he's (Costello) unperturbed not to have been measured up for a plinth to celebrate his greatness now he's turned 50? "That's handy for people who are a little less, er, robust than I am. Take Morrissey. For me, he's been singing the same tune for 20 years. I just don't get it. But he's clearly an interesting character and means a lot to people. He seems to be of a disposition that is very sensitive to criticism and therefore it's appropriately English that he becomes cherished in that kind of Frankie Howerd, Tony Hancock way. Those who are fragile, who need to be cosseted, maybe their shortcomings or their excellence in their field is then woven into the fabric along with Albert Tatlock and Hobnobs."

Nay, nay and thrice nay, Costello

I must admit to being a big fan of EC, mind you.

I used to love Costello when I was younger and was impressed by the "cleverness" of his lyrics but I realise now that he's never actually done anything that's genuinely touched me. I think he is just too far up his own arse to be real.
I recently rebought "Get Happy" on CD because I had good memories of it. I was really disapointed with how slight it sounds now.

I don't know what it is about Morrissey's contemporaries that they can't acknowledge his talent. Surely even if you don't like him you have objectively see the quality of the work? It seems like jealousy to me.

As much as I'm a fan of Elvis Costello's, his last album "The Delivery Man" is nowhere near as good as "You Are The Quarry". It sounds like he's just copying himself. The songs are too similar also. "Same tune for 20 years". If by that he means ingenius, lyrically unsurpassed, musically riveting, emotionally connective songs then I'd have to agree.

Back
Top Bottom