Download campaign to give Moz a #1 song -- Can it work like it worked for Rage?

Can someone delete this thread or something, to kill this daft notion. Every fan forum of every artist in the UK is probably discussing/plotting the same thing. Some internet users really are naive about this kind of stuff.

Morrissey doesn't have the support or the songs to get a number one in the UK, simple as that. If he wants a number one, it's up to him and a record company to do something about it.

Morrissey said he could end his career happily now, having released his last three albums. Who wouldn't want to end their career happy? The signs are all there. We are seeing the dying days of Morrissey as a recording artist.

Can someone delete this thread or something, to kill this daft notion. Every fan forum of every artist in the UK is probably discussing/plotting the same thing. Some internet users really are naive about this kind of stuff.

Morrissey doesn't have the support or the songs to get a number one in the UK, simple as that. If he wants a number one, it's up to him and a record company to do something about it.

Morrissey said he could end his career happily now, having released his last three albums. Who wouldn't want to end their career happy? The signs are all there. We are seeing the dying days of Morrissey as a recording artist.

I disagree. It's actually a very amusing and far from inconceivable notion. Even if it fails, it would be a rip-roaring success. Especially if it fails, in fact. The statement of plotting as a weird, little community (and probably being joined by the disaffected indie-listening masses, bored to tears of R&B, rap and Simon Cowell) to put a 51-year old Mancunian 'misery' at the top of the charts on Christmas day would be hilarious and touching. I also think it's entirely possible that - with a strong single - there are enough people in the UK who own Smiths records and/or Morrissey records (surely well over the 3 million mark) to join such a campaign and succeed.

Of course, the song should really have a Christmas theme - and a typically Morrissey theme at that.

"52,000 Shapeshifters (1)
43,000 Rachel Stevens (2)

19,000 J-Kwon (4)
18,300 Jamelia (5)
16,800 Morrissey (6)
9,600 Flip & Fill (11)
2,600 Nelly Furtado (40)

not as close i would have thought "

Amazing. So there are more people willing to pay over £30 to turn up and watch Wigan Athletic play football every couple of weeks than are willing to spend £3.99 on a great Morrissey single with b-sides.

I think this sums up the present climate of apathy surrounding the pop charts. The reality is that the charts are now quite simply bad. Despite all the promotion in the world and the fact we are told to love R&B, rap and 'urban music' daily by the BBC, the music scene in the UK no longer reflects the passions of the British people. As someone who was a teenager during 'Britpop,' I didn't realise quite how lucky I was to live in a time when one could share one's love of popular artists such as Morrissey, Pulp, Radiohead and the Stone Roses with other people. That's impossible today.

Even if it fails, it would be a rip-roaring success. Especially if it fails, in fact.
It will fail - as has been mentioned earlier, they tried it on this site before and failed miserably.

The reality is that the charts are now quite simply bad.
Why bother trying to get Morrissey to the top of a "bad" chart, then? Just appreciate the music in the comfort of your own living room and forget about antiquated music charts.

I didn't realise quite how lucky I was to live in a time when one could share one's love of popular artists such as Morrissey, Pulp, Radiohead and the Stone Roses with other people. That's impossible today.
It isn't. You can do it on this very site, and numerous other sites, and at many pubs and indie-nights up and down the country.

It will fail - as has been mentioned earlier, they tried it on this site before and failed miserably.

Why bother trying to get Morrissey to the top of a "bad" chart, then? Just appreciate the music in the comfort of your own living room and forget about antiquated music charts.

It isn't. You can do it on this very site, and numerous other sites, and at many pubs and indie-nights up and down the country.

1 I suggested a conspiracy between Morrissey and his fans to get him a Christmas number one in 2010. Not a half-baked attempt by a few so-slowers to do it on their own steam a few years ago.

2 For the reasons I just explained.

3 I don't go to pubs. Indie-nights are pretentious, self-important and tedious. As for this site, it hardly compares to a normal face-to-face discussion with friends, does it? There is a weak sense of community on so-slow but the point still stands: in 1995, there was a wonderful sense of belonging within the 'pop/indie' community. It felt like our music was finally about to take over the known world and that every Tom, Dick and Seth had suddenly developed a sensitive side. Naturally, it was a bit laddish and beery at times but it was infinitely preferable to the music scene in 2009. This is arguably rock/pop's lowest ebb. No one I know has anything more than a passing interest in what I consider proper music. Americanised 'black music' has infested - and to some extent - taken over the charts, which is sad. I say 'black music' because it's not really black music. It's the music white executives choose to promote as being 'black music.' It's degrading and intolerable. Sadly, as legions of young people mouth words about 'bitches' and 'guns,' with glassy eyes and an attitude problem, it is becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Simply put...RATM have a high number of yob/chav/bogan fans/ Morrissey has a fan base to small to make a dent.

Simply put...RATM have a high number of yob/chav/bogan fans/ Morrissey has a fan base to small to make a dent.

Again, that's an oversimplification. I would confidently assert more British people own a Smiths or Moz record than own a RATM record.

I suspect the only way Morrissey will get a number one single is when he pops his clogs and How Soon Is Now is rereleased.

OF course Stop Me went to number 1. So maybe a Mark Ronson remix would do the trick too

Back
Top Bottom