Does Morrissey sometimes go too far with his lyrics (beyond tasteful)?

ACTON

Don't Leave Us In The Dark
Do you think Morrissey sometimes goes too far with his lyrics, almost to the point of crassness?
In particular I am thinking of the lines;
Scandinavia: "May your children die in blind asylums".
Having seen documentaries about the way children are treated in some asylums I didn't appreciate Moz making a joke out of it. I might need to lighten up but I thought the line was unnecessarily nasty.
In a somewhat different vein the following line did not ring true to me;
Istanbul: "I lean into a box of pine, identify the kid as mine". No father who finally found his long lost child (now grown and a male prostitute, but dead) would call him 'the kid'. Seems throwaway and unsympathetic and to me betrays a lack of sensitivity on Morrissey's behalf, and almost misses the point of the song.
Thoughts on a postcard to my PO Box.....

Durr yes, thats what morrissey does, his trademark so to speak. Been doing it for 30yrs, Some songs i skip when friends come round because theyre just too over the top crass, cringeworthy, call it what u will but i love moz so its ok, i overlook it (all the while knowing its a bit wrong)

Yah but in the past he was funny. I just see a nastier element in some of his lyrics these days (not many, just some).

Perhaps he doesn't like kids, outside of his nephews and kids of close friends. He also isn't a parent, and can't relate to loving a child as a parent. I'm the same way- don't have kids, don't want them, but I like the kids of my close friends.

He is detached from the parenting experience and you can see it in his writing. Not everyone goes crazy when they see a baby.

Yah but in the past he was funny. I just see a nastier element in some of his lyrics these days (not many, just some).

Was margaret on the guillotine funny, (im not gonna jump on the maggie hater band wagon, i wasnt even born) but no matter how much hate people had towards her, morrisseys lyrics in that song are a bit harsh, "when will u die" over and over, "please die", i love the song btw its a great tune but its one of them id only listen to on my own than with friends or family. Sorrow will come is another one, theres loads of examples tbh

Acton, in the song Scandinavia he's actually poking fun at humans that think that their love or desires are the most important in the world.

Once we get what we want....than everything is fine with the world.

Istanbul....a song about the failure of a man to be the father he should. It does have a realistic hard ending....just like life. I think he meant it to be sympathetic.

Best to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not. At. All.

Nope.

Unh-unh.

I've read some pushing-the-envelope literature in my life that puts its toe right up to the line, but Morrissey's stuff is child's play compared to lesser known works. It's his job to write that way. It's his joy to make us all feel slightly uncomfortable as we enjoy his voice/music. Or...at least that's what I think.

Back
Top Bottom