Does anyone else HATE sitting at a desk? Thoughts?

Musings

Ubermember
Time for a confessional, everyone. Does anyone else feel this way?

I am so sick of going to work every day and sitting behind a desk.

Everyday I get to work and I have like 40 voicemails from looney customers, I have to listen to my harmless but dim 'cube-mate' whisper to her boyfriend on her cellphone all day, and spend the rest of my day in "meetings" and then engaging in meaningless, I mean, utterly pointless conversations with my drone-like, mindless co-workers.

I know, I know, we're better off than 90% of people in this silly world, but does anyone else ever get sick of spending 8 hours a day with people who don't have anything at all to say about anything? Every time I offer up a bit of information or anything like that, everyone says well how did you know that?, or what does that mean? I've never heard that or, you have the most random stories or aaaah! I just can't take it anymore! I think I'm going to call in sick tomorrow. :cool:

(I'm sorry everyone... Ok, well, I'm not, really -- I just had to listen to country music and conversations about "Big Brother" for 8 hours today. Would you believe I even heard one of my supervisors leave a voicemail about that show? aaaaaaah!)

Well, I feel better now; I've vented. :p

Thoughts, anyone? :D Does anyone else wonder what it's all about?

At my job, I sit behind a desk and listen to grown women gossip about each other behind their backs. I guess women don't outgrow that, good to know.

My God, what kind of place do you work at? It's late at night!

I know. I work for this technology company where we have techs do these projects at Lowes and they have to do their work overnight. and when they get to the store they have to call us and "check in" and when they leave they have to call us to "check out." it wasnt so bad when i was doing 10 hours a night, 4 nights a week. i had a nice long weekend. but they changed it to 8 hours a night 5 nights a week and its f***ing ridiculous. f***s up my whole sleeping schedule. my weekends are all messed up. im gonna look for a new job actually. and im never busy. i just sit here and play on solo and youtube most of the time. :mad:

I know. I work for this technology company where we have techs do these projects at Lowes and they have to do their work overnight. and when they get to the store they have to call us and "check in" and when they leave they have to call us to "check out." it wasnt so bad when i was doing 10 hours a night, 4 nights a week. i had a nice long weekend. but they changed it to 8 hours a night 5 nights a week and its f***ing ridiculous. f***s up my whole sleeping schedule. my weekends are all messed up. im gonna look for a new job actually. and im never busy. i just sit here and play on solo and youtube most of the time. :mad:

Aw, I'm sorry, that sucks. :( I had a job like that once where my whole sleeping schedule got messed up. I hope you can find a great job that lets you sleep normal hours. :)

i just sit here and play on solo and youtube most of the time. :mad:

and get paid for it!

Thoughts, anyone? :D Does anyone else wonder what it's all about?
FULLER:
The 13th century was a boom time for the British wool trade. The problem was nobody likes stiff and itchy cloth that falls to pieces so the grease (lanolin) needed to be drawn out of the wool.

If you look in the cupboard under your sink right now you'll see it's full of chemicals that could do the job – every house is the same.

But hundreds of years ago those chemicals weren't around, so ordinary people had to use whatever was available.

And there's no more powerful alkaline solution than two-week old human urine – and it's free!

I tell you, after two weeks it doesn't smell like wee, it smells like burying your nose in uncooked liver.

For the show I used our crew member's wee – and the job involves dancing around in it bare foot for two hours per length of cloth.

I'd be interested to know whether the people reading this would rather be up to their knees in the stale urine of friends or complete strangers!

The women in our unit used a different bucket to the men, and one thing I learnt was their wee smelt much nicer.

GROOM OF THE STOOL:
The groom of the stool was basically Henry VIII's chief bum-wiper. He had to look after the King's poo.

And if you didn't do a good job first time around then you could always mop it up with what was called a diper, which was actually a diamond shape piece of linen with a pattern on it.

Thankfully I only mocked that one in the series, no hairy arse was pointed in my direction.

And given how gross Henry VIII was by the time he got to middle age, it was way down the list of jobs that I wanted to experiment.

The strange thing about the groom of the stool is that you'd think it would be the worst job anyone could do, but in fact you became such an intimate of the King only courtiers were chosen to do it.

It was also a very dangerous position to hold, because you were right in the thick of the things – you were the Alan Milburn of your day!

You could rise up the ranks, but go back down just as quickly. And it was not unknown for grooms of the stool to end up with their heads chopped off.

For instance one of them was executed after being accused of having hanky panky with Anne Boleyn.

BARBER SURGEON:
Back in Medieval times if you were a barber – which involved lots of blades and cutting – you also did operations as well.

The barber would have this string of tools from scissors right through to those needed for administering anal medication and rectal feeding.

He'd also have this huge curved instrument for amputations, which could cut off an arm in one sweep.

But the very worst part, if you were a doctor, was that you had to taste people's wee.

In those days the whole of medicine was based on the 'four humours', meaning patients were either sanguine, phlegmatic, choleric or melancholic.

And one of the best ways of finding out which of the four humours dominated was to have a good old swig of the person's wee!

When you think about it, there is some sense in that and it probably works.

But, quite honestly, I don't think many doctors nowadays are willing to go that far.

yeah thats why i hardly ever went to class my last couple years of college ;)

hence working the night shift :p

pic_724991001187711573.jpg

pic_234599001187711560.jpg

Have a look at "That's Not Safe".

I do understand about sitting at a desk. Still the pictures at that link put it in perspective.

Funnily enough I am looking for a job behind a desk. Next Friday I leave my job as a technician in a comprehensive school. I must walk ten miles a day between the various classrooms till my legs throb, and my feet burn. I get abused by the students daily, with comments ranging from sexual inuendos to being told to "f*** Off". So sitting behind a desk all day listening to the mundane ramblings of people sounds to me like heaven!!!

Its seriously boring at the best of times, but my boss is on holiday for two weeks and ive B* all to do and have to put up with two bitches who think they own the company having a go coz im doing nothing!! :mad:

At my job, I sit behind a desk and listen to grown women gossip about each other behind their backs. I guess women don't outgrow that, good to know.

I could have written this :D

I sometimes wish my office was a military bunker so I could keep those types out. it's soooo funny watching them be nice to each to their faces and then backstab each one another when someone's out of earshot.

Ironically today I am not behind my desk because I called out sick, in order to interview for a new job. muhhhahahahaha! :D

Back
Top Bottom