Doctor, doctor...

Franzanna

In retirement
Or alternatively quack, quack... :p

I have a lump behind my left ear, which I've had for as long as I can remember. I reckon it's a cyst or something else that's not malignant. Today it hurts and it feels swollen (well, more swollen than usual), what do you lot think is wrong with me? I have had a cold the past few weeks, so it might have something to do with that.

Or alternatively quack, quack... :p

I have a lump behind my left ear, which I've had for as long as I can remember. I reckon it's a cyst or something else that's not malignant. Today it hurts and it feels swollen (well, more swollen than usual), what do you lot think is wrong with me? I have had a cold the past few weeks, so it might have something to do with that.

reckon there isnt much wrong with you, probably a benign cyst - loads of people get them.:thumb:

Once a lymph node has reacted to an infection and swelled, it will never return to its original, tiny size. I have always had very reactive lymph nodes, so I have a whole series of them under my jawline that are permanently larger-- I used to get strep throat every year when I was a kid.

If you've ever had an ear infection in that ear, or any other kind of infection, and that node swelled in response, it may explain that lump.

Painful swollen lymph nodes are a common sign of infection. Painless, large, rubbery nodes that appear suddenly are a cause for concern and should absolutely be checked by a doctor. Many lymphatic and blood cancers do not present any extraordinary symptoms, and often catch younger victims completely unaware. I'm NOT suggesting you are seriously, ill, Franzie, just passing on what I've learned.

Once a lymph node has reacted to an infection and swelled, it will never return to its original, tiny size. I have always had very reactive lymph nodes, so I have a whole series of them under my jawline that are permanently larger-- I used to get strep throat every year when I was a kid.

If you've ever had an ear infection in that ear, or any other kind of infection, and that node swelled in response, it may explain that lump.

Painful swollen lymph nodes are a common sign of infection. Painless, large, rubbery nodes that appear suddenly are a cause for concern and should absolutely be checked by a doctor. Many lymphatic and blood cancers do not present any extraordinary symptoms, and often catch younger victims completely unaware. I'm NOT suggesting you are seriously, ill, Franzie, just passing on what I've learned.

I had bronchiolitis as a baby, and I had all the usual colds and coughs when I was younger. That might explain why I would have an enlarged node behind my ear. It's not very rubbery and it's been there for years, so I doubt I am seriously ill, it's probably just my cold. :)

Back
Top Bottom