Do You Care if Morrissey Doesn't Like Albums/Tracks That You Do?

Does Morrissey's opinion of his own albums/tracks affect yours?

• His opinion has no effect on my favourite albums/tracks.

Votes: 41 91.1%
  • When he criticizes/praises his own work, my opinion follows suit (sooner or later)

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters

King Leer

Leering since '97
I don't know why I thought of this -- maybe because a little while back Morrissey made reference to Kill Uncle (and his writing "partnership" with M. Nevin) in a pretty negative light. Did all of that album's defenders let out a sigh and acquiesce, or do they still hold their copy dear despite Morrissey's own criticisms?

The poll doesn't have to only apply to Kill Uncle, but other tracks that Morrissey has put down (Pregnant...., Ouija Board... etc.)

And perhaps tracks that Morrissey is overly proud of that you think are duff.

Only two options aren't enough.

It depends on my mood, sometimes particular album/tracks don't appeal to me.
I haven't listened Quarry much lately.

Of course, but are those moods affected by what Morrissey himself says about his records? Or does it have no relevance?

Only two options aren't enough.

It depends on my mood, sometimes particular album/tracks don't appeal to me.
I haven't listened Quarry much lately.

Of course, but are those moods affected by what Morrissey himself says about his records? Or does it have no relevance?

Actually I never thought about it, but possibly it doesn't affect me what Morrissey says about his work.
Some songs grow on later although initially I didn't like them, and some become least favourite if I over played.

Everyone knows that Morrissey has often has crappy taste in his own music. I mean, he releases some of his greatest songs as b-sides and some of his worst songs as a-sides. He hates great songs like "Pregnant for the Last Time" and "Tony the Pony". He loves awful songs like "Do Your Best and Don't Worry" and "I Keep Mine Hidden". There is truly no accounting for taste when it comes to Mozzer.

His opinion has nothing to do with how i feel about albums or songs he dont like artists that are around now where as i do just cos he's my fav artist of all time it dont mean i cant like other music just cos he dont

I hear he really likes proper English and embraces rules of punctuation.

Everyone knows that Morrissey has often has crappy taste in his own music. I mean, he releases some of his greatest songs as b-sides and some of his worst songs as a-sides. He hates great songs like "Pregnant for the Last Time" and "Tony the Pony". He loves awful songs like "Do Your Best and Don't Worry" and "I Keep Mine Hidden". There is truly no accounting for taste when it comes to Mozzer.

You're assuming Morrissey subscribes to the view that all your worst songs should be hidden on b-sides. Considering his love of the traditional old fashioned single I don't think that's true. I think he purposely hides really good songs on b-sides to make them more precious to fans.

And "Pregnant for the Last Time" and "Tony the Pony" are both pretty mediocre.

It really doesn't matter to me. I think "I Don't Owe You Anything" is a lovely song, and the fact he's grown tired of it doesn't change that.

You're assuming Morrissey subscribes to the view that all your worst songs should be hidden on b-sides. Considering his love of the traditional old fashioned single I don't think that's true. I think he purposely hides really good songs on b-sides to make them more precious to fans.

And "Pregnant for the Last Time" and "Tony the Pony" are both pretty mediocre.

Mediocre????? Nonsense!!! Those are excellent songs! Oh, another one that I think is pretty good that Moz hates: "What Difference Does It Make?" I don't think he's very fond of "This Charming Man" either.

Yes, I know that Morrissey likes hiding delightful little gems on his b-sides... I don't have a problem with that. I love his b-sides. It's more the fact that his a-sides are often so awful that concerns me.

Yep. Well said. that pretty much wraps it up for me.

I think alot of things would have been different had Morrissey continued with one writting partner (like he did with the Smiths/Marr). But, taken as he's a solo artist now, he makes all the choices, which aren't always very good: America is not the world, lazy dykes, on the streets I ran, etc.

He hates great songs like "Pregnant for the Last Time" and "Tony the Pony". He loves awful songs like "Do Your Best and Don't Worry" and "I Keep Mine Hidden". There is truly no accounting for taste when it comes to Mozzer.

Now, "I Keep Mine Hidden" is almost like a hidden little gem... a truly beautiful song with such a deep meaning, disguised with a little whistle and a whimsical tune.

And, I do LOVE "Do Your Best and Don't Worry". :)

i would guess he probably doesnt like black eyed susan as much as i do. but i dont care. thats my jam right there!

Nobody who was cut down by his take on Kill Uncle, then? Didn't someone shout out for him to play "Tony the Pony" and his reply had a nuance of "As if I'd ever play that"?

Conversely, he's very quick to stick up for Southpaw Grammar. He's said in the past that it's his favourite of his own albums (don't know if that's still true), which buoyed a lot of people who get ripped for citing it as their #1.

I think 80% of Morrissey's b-sides are excellent and the other 20% should be b-sides. Some album tracks definitely seem like traditional (ie. minor) b-sides. But overall surely the best b-sides of any recording artist ever.

Last edited:
I don't care what songs he likes. I'm still mad that I wasn't at any of his favorite shows though. ;)

No, his opinion doesn't affect me regarding certain tracks or albums.

Then again, I am hearing the end product and can appreciate it for what it is.

I wonder myself if his opinion on certain songs or albums is taking into account the stuff we are not always informed about; the whole atmosphere of the recording sessions at the time, who he was working with, personal problems he was experiencing, or perhaps whether the original concept or mood of the song or album came out the way he intended.

No, his opinion doesn't affect me regarding certain tracks or albums.

Then again, I am hearing the end product and can appreciate it for what it is.

I wonder myself if his opinion on certain songs or albums is taking into account the stuff we are not always informed about; the whole atmosphere of the recording sessions at the time, who he was working with, personal problems he was experiencing, or perhaps whether the original concept or mood of the song or album came out the way he intended.

Exactly. And that's why we latch on to certain songs, too, they remind us of things in our own lives. Two people may like the the same song for completely different reasons.

Sorry , but i take no ones opinion into account as far as my personal choices go , whether it be musical or otherwise.

Free Yourself , Then Others

Back
Top Bottom