Did anyone see...

GirlAfraid23

The tv documentary last night...how the other half live?

I think it was very moving, however I'm not sure if I agree with the message it was giving out...Okay so these people were desperately poor and needed help but through receiving money from a richer family, I don't think it illustrates the value of money at all and how important it is to work for it.

Perhaps I'm missing the point?
I do believe that family deserved it though...they were a lovely family. However there are many out there who are not...

..My opinion on shows like this, and "The Secret Millionaire", is that they are just MASSIVE "Ego W#nks" to the Rich people involved, and give them a sense of Smugness about looking down on the "Little" people, while at the same time Feeling a little bit Proud of their actions....But that's just me....

..My opinion on shows like this, and "The Secret Millionaire", is that they are just MASSIVE "Ego W#nks" to the Rich people involved, and give them a sense of Smugness about looking down on the "Little" people, while at the same time Feeling a little bit Proud of their actions....But that's just me....

:lbf:

Your meant to say it shows how people who have been lucky in life can help out others who are not as priviliged.

No, I find Channel 4's strange philanthropic programmes to be a bit unsettling, and so avoid them completely, to me, it seems to be a return to lasissez-faire thinking with charity to the deserving poor to ease the upper/middle class coincience.

I never saw it but i did see the advert, such formats make me uncomfortable as good as the intentions may be..or not.
I struggle with even 'strife swap', just ends up with everyone telling each other how they should be living.
Jeremy Kyle TV if you ask me.

I never watch this kind of programmes, but still good to have them although some people pointed out that it makes them uncomfortable.

At least it gives financial support to some people who desparately need it.

I seen this programme too. There was something a bit wrong about it for me. In saying that, I thought both families were decent people. While I think the rich family had the best of intentions and genuinely wanted to help the (much) poorer family, for me the whole thing highlighted just how shocking the gap between rich and poor in this country is. I find it appalling how people can live in huge mansions such as they did while good people are desperately struggling in high rise, crime ridden estates. Twelve years of Labour and poverty is still rife in this country. Sadly we aren't interested in trying to end poverty. We'll go from New Labour to Tory, inevitably back to a revamped-but-really-still-the-same Labour government without ever seeing significant improvement.

Rant over :lbf: I agree though, I thought Channel 4 could have done much better with this subject and posed the audience a few tougher questions

Back
Top Bottom