Cole Porter Sessions

simon

Depressing Belgian
Hey everyone. I'd like you all to know that the website for the Cole Porter Sessions is now online. It introduces a box set of 5 CDs (82 tracks) with music of early 20th century Broadway composer Cole Porter.

http://coleportersessions.com/

I highly recommend checking out the tracklists, where you can listen to a 15 to 30 second sample for each song. These albums feature two world première recordings as well as about twenty songs that haven't been recorded in about thirty years, and many that have never been recorded properly.

The CD is due to release next month, so this is just an appetizer. Also upcoming is a complete Timeline of Cole Porter songs (over 200) with a live recording linked to each one.

There is a lot more to browse; the site features some photos from Cole's life that can't be found online anywhere else, a biography and chronology by renowned Porter expert Robert Kimball, biographies and other media featuring the performers etc.

I invite you to join us on our new facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cole-Porter-Sessions/148607605161131
where you'll be updated regularly when new interesting content is added to the site.

I hope you enjoy this tribute to 'the master of sophisticated song'. Either way, in these early stages I'd happily welcome your support. So, please, join me on the facebook page. It'd mean a lot to me!

Love,

Simon

i adore cole !

His lyrics are so witty and his music is so surprising, so beautiful. As Sinatra put it: “I particularly like Cole’s lyrics to sing because he made it fun to sing a song. He gave it freshness … When I first would see one of his songs the surprise of the couplet or the inner rhyme was always exciting to me.”

I do hope you enjoy our tribute to this American icon and World Citizen! :)

His lyrics are so witty and his music is so surprising, so beautiful. As Sinatra put it: “I particularly like Cole’s lyrics to sing because he made it fun to sing a song. He gave it freshness … When I first would see one of his songs the surprise of the couplet or the inner rhyme was always exciting to me.”

I do hope you enjoy our tribute to this American icon and World Citizen! :)

have you heard the album which katharine hepburn records with songs of him? she was unhappy with it as she said she hasnt got a good singing voice...
i scanned the site in which the album sleeves appear:
http://a.imageshack.us/img832/3532/kate007.jpg
in the opening scene of that woody allen film . "everything you wanna know about sex" if iam not mistaken there was a cole porter song at the beginning but it has been a looong time since i last saw the film

Last edited:
Yep! Got that album and most others (from terrible to wonderful) sitting in the music library. She should cut herself some slack, it's not half as bad as the Red Hot + Blue album which features U2, Jimmy Sommerville, Erasure, Iggy Pop etc. That was just awful. Still, I've got it as well, for the sake of being complete.

Sad to say I haven't seen that particular film by Woody Allen.

May I ask what book that scan is from?

Yep! Got that album and most others (from terrible to wonderful) sitting in the music library. She should cut herself some slack, it's not half as bad as the Red Hot + Blue album which features U2, Jimmy Sommerville, Erasure, Iggy Pop etc. That was just awful. Still, I've got it as well, for the sake of being complete.

Sad to say I haven't seen that particular film by Woody Allen.

May I ask what book that scan is from?
the book is called: "me: stories about my life" author:katharine hepburn (1991)
its a funny film its a persiflage of all the sex education films in the 70ties..its hilarious i found the episode with the sheep and what happens during ejacualtion amusing: imagine woody dressed as an sperm and burt reynoldw as the operator of the libido :D and it was cole porter indeed: lets misbehave.
film tile: Everything you always wanted to know about sex but was afraid to ask.
was the hepburn lp difficult to obtain(expensive?)

Last edited:
I only have this particular one in CD format. :( It cost about 20$ if I remember correctly. I think that you'd be able to find a copy online through ebay or amazon, really. (Cole Porter Revisited, Vol. IV)

I only have this particular one in CD format. :( It cost about 20$ if I remember correctly. I think that you'd be able to find a copy online through ebay or amazon, really. (Cole Porter Revisited, Vol. IV)
cd even better. not able to plug my lp player with the hifi system. nice to hear from someone with that taste,..
george gershwin?
are you into cabaret music as well?
i really like friedrich holländer- marlene dietrich sang many songs of him.

The only repertoire I'm really familiar with so far is that of the Great American Songbook, so that does include Gershwin and Irving Berlin as well. Marlene Dietrich sings some of the better versions of some Porter songs, too. Very admirable. I don't really know much Holländer myself.

I manage this website for my father, the singer. It's through him that I got to know this music. He's the guy to talk to, really. I'm always baffled by his extensive knowledge ... Grew up in a musical family (my grandfather was a conductor, organist, pianist and composer), but only decided to become an opera singer at the age of 27 - when I was born. Before that he listened to the likes of Steely Dan, Joe Jackson, ... Until recently he knew more about pop music than I did! So that's opera, pop, broadway, ...

Personally I like a lot of other things as well. New wave, rockabilly, good 80s pop and I've a profound passion for Morrissey, as most people on this forum, I'd assume!

The only repertoire I'm really familiar with so far is that of the Great American Songbook, so that does include Gershwin and Irving Berlin as well. Marlene Dietrich sings some of the better versions of some Porter songs, too. Very admirable. I don't really know much Holländer myself.

I manage this website for my father, the singer. It's through him that I got to know this music. He's the guy to talk to, really. I'm always baffled by his extensive knowledge ... Grew up in a musical family (my grandfather was a conductor, organist, pianist and composer), but only decided to become an opera singer at the age of 27 - when I was born. Before that he listened to the likes of Steely Dan, Joe Jackson, ... Until recently he knew more about pop music than I did! So that's opera, pop, broadway, ...

Personally I like a lot of other things as well. New wave, rockabilly, good 80s pop and I've a profound passion for Morrissey, as most people on this forum, I'd assume!

interesting. :thumb:must be great to grow up in a musical family- were you"forced " to play an instrument?;)does your grandpa and father have records out to buy?
which bands out of the new wave direction?

Last edited:
I played the piano for 4 years when I was younger. I quit because I have a major problem with authority. Dropped out of high school and got my degree through an exam commission for the same reason. After that, a long period of nothing. Recently I've picked up singing in my room/the shower. Makes me feel good. Mostly Moz, of course.

As for new wave - From A-ha to Yazoo, really. (I wanted to use a band starting with a Z there but there aren't many good ones that do). My favourites -in alphabetical order- are 1000 Ohm, Alphaville, Bauhaus, The Church, The Cure, Depeche Mode (!), Ian Dury, Erasure, Fad Gadget (!), The Human League (!), Joe Jackson (!), Joy Division (!), Magazine, New Order, Gary Numan, Graham Parker, Simple Minds, Siouxsie, Tears for Fears (!), Ultravox, Visage, Xmal Deutschland (!), ...

My grandfather doesn't - it wasn't very common in his days. My father has albums of 'Sacred Songs', 'French Opera Arias', 'The Great American Songbook' out at the moment. But to be honest, they all pale in comparison to the Cole Porter Sessions which have 22 September marked as a release date, I think.

P.S. Before you ask, I'm only 19 years old. I got to know Morrissey when I was 17 and have been possessed ever since. And to elaborate even further, I study English, Theater, Film and Literature at the University of Antwerp! There, story of my life.

Last edited:
Can you let me know when the CDs become available:thumb:

Woah, this just became more relevant to Morrissey.

I'm working on a chronological list of Cole Porter songs we've recorded so far. One of them is "I'll Always Be True To You In My Fashion".

Automatically made me think of Speedway, so I looked it up:

In an apparent allusion to Porter's song, Morrissey's "Speedway", from the 1994 album Vauxhall & I, includes the lines "In my own strange way, I've always been true to you / In my own sick way, I'll always stay true to you".

Woah, this just became more relevant to Morrissey.

I'm working on a chronological list of Cole Porter songs we've recorded so far. One of them is "I'll Always Be True To You In My Fashion".

Automatically made me think of Speedway, so I looked it up:

In an apparent allusion to Porter's song, Morrissey's "Speedway", from the 1994 album Vauxhall & I, includes the lines "In my own strange way, I've always been true to you / In my own sick way, I'll always stay true to you".
good call!
played the piano for 4 years when I was younger. I quit because I have a major problem with authority. Dropped out of high school and got my degree through an exam commission for the same reason. After that, a long period of nothing. Recently I've picked up singing in my room/the shower. Makes me feel good. Mostly Moz, of course.

As for new wave - From A-ha to Yazoo, really. (I wanted to use a band starting with a Z there but there aren't many good ones that do). My favourites -in alphabetical order- are 1000 Ohm, Alphaville, Bauhaus, The Church, The Cure, Depeche Mode (!), Ian Dury, Erasure, Fad Gadget (!), The Human League (!), Joe Jackson (!), Joy Division (!), Magazine, New Order, Gary Numan, Graham Parker, Simple Minds, Siouxsie, Tears for Fears (!), Ultravox, Visage, Xmal Deutschland (!), ...

My grandfather doesn't - it wasn't very common in his days. My father has albums of 'Sacred Songs', 'French Opera Arias', 'The Great American Songbook' out at the moment. But to be honest, they all pale in comparison to the Cole Porter Sessions which have 22 September marked as a release date, I think.

P.S. Before you ask, I'm only 19 years old. I got to know Morrissey when I was 17 and have been possessed ever since. And to elaborate even further, I study English, Theater, Film and Literature at the University of Antwerp! There, story of my life.

interesting..what will you like to be (job wise) then when you finish ithe studies?
you might be interested since you like 80ties stuff, be into einstürzende neubauten who come to brüssel in november (a 2 day concert: first the normal one, 2nd stuff they nver had played plus artand solo performances-to celebrate their 30ties anniverary-founded in 1980)
and DAF in december in antwerp.amazing live both.

Back
Top Bottom