Boycott Morrissey Concert Until He Lifts the Ban on David

I don't know if we can ever measure the net effect of this website of total sales. My gut feeling is it is a net positive, I.e. Yes I received leaked Quarry tracks before the album was released, but this did not stop me from buying the Quarry album, the deluxe edition, and all the singles released. I suspect I'm not alone. I can't begin to tell you how many times someone purchased a 7" vinyl but didn't own a record player! So, I guess we agree to disagree. No worries.

The other point you made which really struck me: "The person who brought then here has not really changed that much." I would vehemently disagree with that. Since That's How People Grow Up, there has been a change. Lyrically, in interviews, I've wondered on these forums after hearing the Janice Long tracks what 20 something Morrissey who wrote Get Off the Stage would think about this current incarnation. I think he has changed, and that's normal. Am I less of a fan because I prefer ROTT to YOR? I been savaged for that position which has always left me wondering if the people being critical understand the massive hypocrisy they're spewing: so I'm a bad fan for dissing YOR but they are with Morrissey and good fans because they believe ROTT sucked and YOR is great?! Aren't we both stating we don't like one album? But if you don't like the current album, the flavor of the day, your opinion is somehow less valid, or you just don't get it. Strange...

Morrissey was 31 (i think) when he released "Get off the stage", I don't know when he wrote it, I hear it was the year before, so, he would have been 29 or 30 (I think).. At that point he was mad set on a solo career, he had no plans on getting off the stage anytime soon. Morrissey said he wanted to retire by the time he was 30 at one point. Morrissey likes to make grand statements and to bitch and moan (you haven't noticed?). He also said he didn't like videos he made them in the Smiths and in his solo life- he often changes his mind sweet.
Of course Morrissey has changed in terms of age and wealth and that changes ones mind..My point is, you would be surprised how much his personality hasn't changed inside.
From what I have heard he really is "just the same underneath". I really do feel the reason people lose faith in Morrissey tends to be down to them, people lose interest for a number of reasons. The bitter fans seem to sit in the same chair of despair (Oh, sit me anywhere but never there). The reason they become thus (I think) is because (as I said) they get the wrong idea about who Morrissey really is, they then think they are like him etc etc. Then one day, truth slaps them abound the back of the head with a toaster and they see that they have been an ocean way from the truth..This leaves them feeling foolish,sad and dejected. So, how do some deal with this truth. Well, they deny it, reject it and decide its Morrisseys fault for not being how he never was in the first place.
You really shouldn't care if someone says an lp is better than one you prefer, its subjective.

Last edited:
Re: Why real Morrissey fans should boycott Morrissey-solo.

How is “jm26” less anonymous than posting with the anonymous option? Unless we all start using our real names with our passport picture as our avatar then it’s silly to say get rid of anons. How is a post by “born in 1975” stating he doesn’t think the new songs are not up to par any less "poisonous" than an anonymous post? They’re both anonymous opinions. Besides, Moz or his people haven’t specifically said it’s the anonymous posts they disagree with.

You're right to a point. Registering is not an end all solution, but it does require some effort to register. It also allows the site admin to see the Ip address (correct me if I'm wrong), thereby banning those who are just posting rants, or aren't fans and just post here to call "all Morrissey fans fags."

I'm for free speech but if hateful, ignorant anon rants were banned I can't imagine this would make the site worse...

On your own mate.

However I had no idea Morrissey knew so much of the love and hate on this website?

You're right to a point. Registering is not an end all solution, but it does require some effort to register. It also allows the site admin to see the Ip address (correct me if I'm wrong), thereby banning those who are just posting rants, or aren't fans and just post here to call "all Morrissey fans fags."

I'm for free speech but if hateful, ignorant anon rants were banned I can't imagine this would make the site worse...

Give a man a mask and he will show you everything... I am (of course) para-phrasing Mr Wilde... it seems "Anon" is the ultimate mask, its not just on here but any comment section anywhere. Prats with loveless spats on their minds fill the net with bile and gore. This is what happens when people do not feel they have to answer for anything.
Its a sad state of affairs really..my wife doesn't know why I go on here, I must stop before the kids find out (they will tie me to a lamp post and leave me)..there is so much to do in London yet here I am...
As I say this latest non event will blow over soon.

Last edited:

Kids? London? Since when?

Give a man a mask and he will show you everything... I am (of course) phrasing Mr Wilde... it seems "Anon" is the ultimate mask, its not just on here but any comment section anywhere. Prats with loveless spats on their minds fill the net with bile and gore. This is what happens when people do not feel they have to answer for anything.
Its a sad state of affairs really..my wife doesn't know why I go on here, I must stop before the kids find out (they will tie me to a lamp post and leave me)..there is so much to do in London yet here I am...

What a loser you are.

Give a man a mask and he will show you everything... I am (of course) phrasing Mr Wilde... it seems "Anon" is the ultimate mask, its not just on here but any comment section anywhere. Prats with loveless spats on their minds fill the net with bile and gore. This is what happens when people do not feel they have to answer for anything.

Its ok, gay sex is legal at 16 nowadays x

... I will boycott every/any future Morrissey concert until David is allowed to attend. I hope others will join me.

Oh, I'm joining you. I never dreamt I'd deliberately bow out of a Moz concert, but he has definitely sunk far lower than usual with this petulant and irrational outburst. I can't support him any longer.

I'm boycotting goods made in China due to their abysmal human rights record. Do you think anyone will care?

Agreed.

It pisses me off that David maintains this site (read: work) for over a decade and yet is banned from attending a concert.

So, just so I have the logic squared up: there are people here who want to be able to go to a Morrissey concert and then run home and post their experience on Solo - all the while the person who is cataloging concert dates, maintaining the very website they'll be using is barred "for life" from going to a concert? There is something really wrong with this thinking, or lack of thinking.

And can someone illuminate for me the rationale behind why David was banned? Was it for eating meat, wearing leather, or simply because he hosted a website where others could share their views? This can't be about leaked material and such because that is hosted offsite and if that were the real issue Moz should be decrying smithstorrent.co.uk or any number of torrent sites in which his material can be easily downloaded.

No, it seems this comes solely from a place of vanity and bullying. It is very unbecoming.

Finally, I'm going to go back in the news items as there was a story not to long ago in which a personality of some import was stating Morrissey was openly making fun of some of his most ardent fans. I thought it mentioned David. I didn't really read it because, at the time, I thought it was rubbish. Now. it seems that this resentment towards this site, towards David have been around for awhile. But I should probably read that first before writing that last statement in stone.

Hi Vauxhall and everyone,

Do you have the link to the article/story/thread where Morrissey was laughing at his "most ardent fans."?

Thanks

Oh, I'm joining you. I never dreamt I'd deliberately bow out of a Moz concert, but he has definitely sunk far lower than usual with this petulant and irrational outburst. I can't support him any longer.

Are you going to take down your site? :(

I just saw that all of this had happened, and wanted to say thanks to davidt for everything he's done to maintain this community throughout the years. My friends and I have relied upon this site because it's so comprehensive; nothing else comes close as a source of information on Morrissey's career. It's a shame that Morrissey has decided to behave this way toward davidt, whose work has made it much easier for me to follow Morrissey's career between record deals. I probably wouldn't attend shows on this tour anyway, but this turn of events makes me regret it a whole lot less.

Yea... Idk anymore. I like David and its kind of mean... I like your website Comtesse & your invaluable contributions over the years...

I think you should keep it up for awhile bc maybe well get more word. Just bc your website is awesome.

But honestly I really believe in character & I believe in being nice to ppl... the nature of this website is, just the way it is. Ppl like it... u could say well davids being mean by allowing stuff, but not really. Free speech and public figure. As far as his house address goes, oh come on, all actors and actresses have their house addresses somewhere. Ppl just wanna feel the magic and hope to get a glimpse of the star.

The dls aren't even him. All ppl have to do is google that stuff. What about limeware or whatever. I don't even think lots of fans do that bc we like to have the cd. I don't. Don't want the virus.

As far as the letter to his record label, I didn't even see it. But he shouldn't be worried about it. Honestly who hasn't fire off a questionable email and lived to regret it.

Id suggest morrissey just enjoy the love and attention.

Honestly I don't think I can go to his shows enjoying it with davids plight in back of my mind. Its just how I am made... I've been a fan for 20 yrs now. Well morrissey will always have that place in my life. But the dave thing has dissappointed me a lot.

I know we shouldn't be offended because it's David's and Morrissey's business.
But you can't help but feel a bit angry and annoyed when you see how much David has actually done for Morrissey and how David's made this site so popular.
It must be a massive slap in the face to David and that's why I don't think Mr Morrissey is such a nice man.
Morrissey doesn't understand anything about technology and computers anyway. How can he ever even pass judgement on a forum? Does he even understand what a forum actually is?

Tags
boycott morrissey-solo
Back
Top Bottom