Morrissey Central "BORN SORRY" (August 19, 2020)

The text is dated 17 August.

"BORN SORRY
August 19, 2020

full

I thought perhaps I’d expressed enough defective needle gratitude for the flowers arriving at the house and adorning the gates and walls for my mother’s terrible, terrible death. I find I must say more - because they keep coming … from all over the world … Israel, Brazil, Peru, Argentina, Poland, Italy … communicating, in their way, a whole sense of truth, one that perhaps tells us that there is no reasonable explanation how love comes and goes.
The death of our mothers somehow tend to clear the ground for some form of reconstruction. Although technically past adolescence, this does not apply to me. See, the sea wants to take me, and let that be the boy’s traditional right, for we all have no interest in hanging around in order to be overtaxed, or to be repeatedly bashed about the head by the Idiot Culture that now rules England with an iron rod.
Had my mother been the mother of some politely antiseptic Hell-given pop star, her passing would be known to all and she would light up the New York Film Festival of 2020. But, no.

However, Love is all that matters, and those who resist it are the losers.

Morrissey
17 August 2020"

It's a changed media landscape though - scandals are now click driven & gamified.

Person X says something & then hot-takers will keep attacking until they get them fired, venues cancelled etc etc. Once it's over they move on to the next scandal. They don't need celebrities because anyone can become a target just by being in a viral tweet or video.

Amy Cooper, the Central Park Karen 🙄 is the same as Morrissey is the same as Ellen DeGeneres (currently getting a kicking for not being Nermal) to these people. And even the counter hot-takers are only using them & will mostly not care if they're compounding the person's career troubles.

Whereas I think (this is what I've been picking up, I wasn't around) - Moz's generation of Indie stars seemed to think there was a more honest way of being famous. That you could say what you felt & express your inner world & that it didn't need to be sanitised, standardized & sold like a tin of baked beans.

Then somewhere in the 90s the entire industry went Disney Factory on them. Britney Spears is iconic because she couldn't take how inhumane niceness is & ended up shaving her head & hitting a car with an umbrella.

Moz's social media is hopeless & he can't or won't shape himself to the news agenda (which avoids most pull-quote horrors) - but I think there should be limits on just how much abuse you can heap on someone who doesn't seem to have done much except sing, become aghast & drink tea.
And someone who 'seems to have' instructed everyone who's ever followed him to support a militaristic, climate-change denying, protect-the-rich, far-right political party, and declare to the world that he prefers how own race.
Funny how you always forget this stuff. Steve is just a harmless, innocent pop singer.
Oh, and then there's the truly woeful Der Spiegel episode. He was quoted as saying some truly horrible stuff. He denied everything and dared the publication to release the tapes. They did, and he was proved to be an absolute 100% liar, making him a f***wit as well as a far-right promoting clown. But no, he's clearly just a harmless chap who sings and drinks tea, and is unfairly picked on by the media.

And someone who 'seems to have' instructed everyone who's ever followed him to support a militaristic, climate-change denying, protect-the-rich, far-right political party, and declare to the world that he prefers how own race.
Funny how you always forget this stuff. Steve is just a harmless, innocent pop singer.
Oh, and then there's the truly woeful Der Spiegel episode. He was quoted as saying some truly horrible stuff. He denied everything and dared the publication to release the tapes. They did, and he was proved to be an absolute 100% liar, making him a f***wit as well as a far-right promoting clown. But no, he's clearly just a harmless chap who sings and drinks tea, and is unfairly picked on by the media.

You're a liar, clown & f**kwit - but I'm glad you're giving up the neutral pretense & your full hatred is coming out.

He didn't recognize Der Spiegel's framing - what he actually says is provisional, discursive & with caveats. Which wasn't reflected in the article - because these things never are.

We've also moved on politically & a lot of the issues he was concerned about have been taken up the the left & the centre.

No one is particularly interested in Anne Marie & it wouldn't take 2 minutes to explain why he thought she was alright based on her identity, the media distortion he's experienced & the state of politics in the 10s.

He was picked on, he is harmless, you'll have to deal with it.

It's a changed media landscape though - scandals are now click driven & gamified.

Person X says something & then hot-takers will keep attacking until they get them fired, venues cancelled etc etc. Once it's over they move on to the next scandal. They don't need celebrities because anyone can become a target just by being in a viral tweet or video.

Amy Cooper, the Central Park Karen 🙄 is the same as Morrissey is the same as Ellen DeGeneres (currently getting a kicking for not being Nermal) to these people. And even the counter hot-takers are only using them & will mostly not care if they're compounding the person's career troubles.

Whereas I think (this is what I've been picking up, I wasn't around) - Moz's generation of Indie stars seemed to think there was a more honest way of being famous. That you could say what you felt & express your inner world & that it didn't need to be sanitised, standardized & sold like a tin of baked beans.

Then somewhere in the 90s the entire industry went Disney Factory on them. Britney Spears is iconic because she couldn't take how inhumane niceness is & ended up shaving her head & hitting a car with an umbrella.

Moz's social media is hopeless & he can't or won't shape himself to the news agenda (which avoids most pull-quote horrors) - but I think there should be limits on just how much abuse you can heap on someone who doesn't seem to have done much except sing, become aghast & drink tea.

you are righting saying its a different landscape but it isnt that people's criticism or principles or views have changed. In the 80s there was the same criticism around but it appeared in a different way. In those days most gigs were at student unions and students were just as opposing to shit as they are now. Many gigs were boycotted with pickets etc etc and there were leaflets galore being handed out by activists complaining about certain artists etc.

The only difference is that those pickets are now electronic for the most part.

The other difference is that artists also didn't have that ability to just push out a statement that would then instantly be visible to anyone and everyone so even if Morrissey wanted to say something it would be limited to a song lyric or in an interview which were few and far between.

Now he has the ability to make his views public with the push of a button and people can respond with many clicks of buttons.

So yes the way people can type and complain is different but also the artists' ability to post stuff, crap or otherwise is also happening like it never did.

So in terms of culture it could be said what has really changed is that artists are now releasing their opinions and views in ways they never could or did. That they leads to response. So the change in culture in terms of this specific artist is being driven by his own public posting and one could argue that is indeed an idiotic culture. Things were better when there was silence except on stage, certainly in this case.

It is a cultural change but it is slightly incongruous to expect to be able to fuel that change by posting and then expect the same non changed culture to just be silent as in the 80s or at least be limited to a few activist students standing outside a students union with placards.

The culture change goes both ways and is driven by the artist making a post or acting.

There is little point in moaning about it. It is the new way and isn't ever going to change. Most artists now this and don't get involved in such posting unless guided with some forethought or PR.

You're a liar, clown & f**kwit - but I'm glad you're giving up the neutral pretense & your full hatred is coming out.

He didn't recognize Der Spiegel's framing - what he actually says is provisional, discursive & with caveats. Which wasn't reflected in the article - because these things never are.

We've also moved on politically & a lot of the issues he was concerned about have been taken up the the left & the centre.

No one is particularly interested in Anne Marie & it wouldn't take 2 minutes to explain why he thought she was alright based on her identity, the media distortion he's experienced & the state of politics in the 10s.

This is correct. Steve is completely harmless. He is such a sweet and darling man. I'm gonna help him. I love him, he's my buddy.

you are righting saying its a different landscape but it isnt that people's criticism or principles or views have changed. In the 80s there was the same criticism around but it appeared in a different way. In those days most gigs were at student unions and students were just as opposing to shit as they are now. Many gigs were boycotted with pickets etc etc and there were leaflets galore being handed out by activists complaining about certain artists etc.

The only difference is that those pickets are now electronic for the most part.

The other difference is that artists also didn't have that ability to just push out a statement that would then instantly be visible to anyone and everyone so even if Morrissey wanted to say something it would be limited to a song lyric or in an interview which were few and far between.

Now he has the ability to make his views public with the push of a button and people can respond with many clicks of buttons.

So yes the way people can type and complain is different but also the artists' ability to post stuff, crap or otherwise is also happening like it never did.

So in terms of culture it could be said what has really changed is that artists are now releasing their opinions and views in ways they never could or did. That they leads to response. So the change in culture in terms of this specific artist is being driven by his own public posting and one could argue that is indeed an idiotic culture. Things were better when there was silence except on stage, certainly in this case.

It is a cultural change but it is slightly incongruous to expect to be able to fuel that change by posting and then expect the same non changed culture to just be silent as in the 80s or at least be limited to a few activist students standing outside a students union with placards.

The culture change goes both ways and is driven by the artist making a post or acting.

There is little point in moaning about it. It is the new way and isn't ever going to change. Most artists now this and don't get involved in such posting unless guided with some forethought or PR.

Those student boycotts were tiny!

Social media is huge.

I think it'll burn out though - Gen K doesn't seem interested in hot-takes. And people are starting to see all the traps & snares.

This is correct. Steve is completely harmless. He is such a sweet and darling man. I'm gonna help him. I love him, he's my buddy.

I remember you accidentally logged on when you were being MEAN to me as an Anon. But I still can't work out if you like Moz or you're being satirical or both. 🙃

I won't have to deal with it at all, sunshine. I hate the far right - I don't hate Steve but I hate his spectacular foolishness. His current album has 4 or 5 great songs (his best since the 90s) and I want him to keep the team together, and continue to put out new albums of similar quality, or better, over the coming years.
But his unbelievable idiocy has frightened off at least three quarters of the fanbase which means there simply cannot be another record deal unless he formally retracts a) his support for the hateful, narrow-minded bigotry of the far right, and b) his statement about preferring his own race.
He needs critical friends to explain to him why what has happened (catastrophic hemorrhaging of the fanbase) has happened. Unfortunately, he is presumably surrounded by delusional sycophants like you who tell him he's a decent harmless chap who's simply being picked on by a malicious media. You, and all who share your views, are a massive part of his current problems.

I won't have to deal with it at all, sunshine. I hate the far right - I don't hate Steve but I hate his spectacular foolishness. His current album has 4 or 5 great songs (his best since the 90s) and I want him to keep the team together, and continue to put out new albums of similar quality, or better, over the coming years.
But his unbelievable idiocy has frightened off at least three quarters of the fanbase which means there simply cannot be another record deal unless he formally retracts a) his support for the hateful, narrow-minded bigotry of the far right, and b) his statement about preferring his own race.
He needs critical friends to explain to him why what has happened (catastrophic hemorrhaging of the fanbase) has happened. Unfortunately, he is presumably surrounded by delusional sycophants like you who tell him he's a decent harmless chap who's simply being picked on by a malicious media. You, and all who share your views, are a massive part of his current problems.

You will have to deal with it you sad, obsessed, pathetic person with reading comprehension issues.

Those student boycotts were tiny!

Social media is huge.

I think it'll burn out though - Gen K doesn't seem interested in hot-takes. And people are starting to see all the traps & snares.

I think I already alluded to that. They weren't that small though. If you think about the boycotts nationwide of companies like Barclays by students which resulted in barclays closing down its south africa connections. That was just one. There were many.

But that aside it won't burn out. People will always want to express their dislike of something and many activist organisations like Stop Hate For Profit etc, vegan charities, pro life groups, etc etc will now always use the social media platform to promote their cause as will every company, campaign group, political party, charity.

As long as their is the platform the campaigns to shutdown will continue.

It will never stop.

But this was not the point of the discussion nor what I was talking about. You have changed the discussion.

I was talking about Morrissey's dislike of this culture but at the same time promoting it by being the person to post the initial post that generates the response. He is part of the problem not the solution. My point as I said is that he complains about the culture but is very much a part of it. He is the provider of the culture whereas most artists don't involve themselves in it.

If you want to be a part of it then you have to accept the consequences and if you don't like that then don't be a part of it. It is simple really but we all know (and I repeat) that without the attacks he would be unhappy because it is the very attacking that generates the love and that is his need.

He needs the love that comes from the attacks. If he just posted on central and no one said anything then he would probably drown in the vodka and misery because it does not provide the attention and love he craves.

“Icons who do sell their parents to achieve the fake stardoms”?

People are selling their parents? Wtf

And this is something that only happens in England? Not in the US or indeed Ireland, the home of the boy band?
[/QUOTE

Personally if you cannot understand the concept of Love and the words in the bible concerning your parents and the respect you must give them, I don't think the Morrissey Central is for you.

I think I already alluded to that. They weren't that small though. If you think about the boycotts nationwide of companies like Barclays by students which resulted in barclays closing down its south africa connections. That was just one. There were many.

But that aside it won't burn out. People will always want to express their dislike of something and many activist organisations like Stop Hate For Profit etc, vegan charities, pro life groups, etc etc will now always use the social media platform to promote their cause as will every company, campaign group, political party, charity.

As long as their is the platform the campaigns to shutdown will continue.

It will never stop.

But this was not the point of the discussion nor what I was talking about. You have changed the discussion.

I was talking about Morrissey's dislike of this culture but at the same time promoting it by being the person to post the initial post that generates the response. He is part of the problem not the solution. My point as I said is that he complains about the culture but is very much a part of it. He is the provider of the culture whereas most artists don't involve themselves in it.

If you want to be a part of it then you have to accept the consequences and if you don't like that then don't be a part of it. It is simple really but we all know (and I repeat) that without the attacks he would be unhappy because it is the very attacking that generates the love and that is his need.

He needs the love that comes from the attacks. If he just posted on central and no one said anything then he would probably drown in the vodka and misery because it does not provide the attention and love he craves.

Social media shaming is different from pressure groups.

Every artist wants their own niche in the culture & if they didn't kick against it nothing would ever change.

(He could get attention by doing all the media appearances & interviews he's turned down & by learning to tweet.)

Social media shaming is different from pressure groups.

Every artist wants their own niche in the culture & if they didn't kick against it nothing would ever change.

(He could get attention by doing all the media appearances & interviews he's turned down & by learning to tweet.)

again you have gone away from what I was saying.

He is part of the "idiotic culture" and without his posts none of the rest would happen against him.

If he doesn't like the culture then stay out of it like most people do. If you want to play the game then you have to put up with the muddy kit. If you want the kit to stay clean then don't play.

It is very simple.

And again as I said but you didn't respond to it, without the dirt and the attacks you guys all complain about he would not get the attention and the love wouldnt flow in abundance back. By releasing posts that people dislike and complain about it generates the love from fans who clamour to his defence with pictures of flowers and live hearts and that gives him what he needs, attention and love. Without the dirt to wouldnt flow.

The reason there are pages and pages of posts of these threads is because there are people disliking his words and then interspersed with adoration in response to that. Ying and Yang. Both are required for him to feel loved.

He doesn't want to do media appearances anymore and never really did except when he was being pushed to do so through contractual agreements with record companies. He would rather sit back, vodka in hand and post on the internet. It is easier, he doesn't need to meet people he would rather not bother with and it is also obviously far cheaper.

You should let me introduce you to my friend Bernard Matthews. He knows how to deal with a turkey like you.

Hahaa!
Slow down fella.
Bernard Matthews ain't got the impeccable impressionability
to advance amicably.
Don't let these folks lead ya in the wrong direction.

Bunny boilers of the world unite.
You leave Karen alone, she is a nice person with a sweet personality... but she raises a good point about the revolution..... never thought of her that way Karen.... have you rumbled the revolution.... well done you, the miss marple of solo🤓🤓🤓

again you have gone away from what I was saying.

He is part of the "idiotic culture" and without his posts none of the rest would happen against him.

If he doesn't like the culture then stay out of it like most people do. If you want to play the game then you have to put up with the muddy kit. If you want the kit to stay clean then don't play.

It is very simple.

And again as I said but you didn't respond to it, without the dirt and the attacks you guys all complain about he would not get the attention and the love wouldnt flow in abundance back. By releasing posts that people dislike and complain about it generates the love from fans who clamour to his defence with pictures of flowers and live hearts and that gives him what he needs, attention and love. Without the dirt to wouldnt flow.

The reason there are pages and pages of posts of these threads is because there are people disliking his words and then interspersed with adoration in response to that. Ying and Yang. Both are required for him to feel loved.

He doesn't want to do media appearances anymore and never really did except when he was being pushed to do so through contractual agreements with record companies. He would rather sit back, vodka in hand and post on the internet. It is easier, he doesn't need to meet people he would rather not bother with and it is also obviously far cheaper.

You're too harsh. It's a crappy business & there should be ways of selling someone as introverted as him without wheeling him out for every album release to get sacrificed to the Gods of Copy.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom