Best songwriter: Morrissey or Bob Dylan

Who is the best songwriter? Morrissey or Bob Dylan

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And I love Please Please Me. I prefer early Beatles before the drugs...but they can’t at any point in their careers together or solo touch Bob.
I love early Beatles, PPM is a great, raw record. Beatles in their purest form. You're tripping though the Lennon/McCartney are the greatest writing duo in modern music history...with a little help from their friends George Martin, Tavistock and William Shepard

BOTT, H61, Desire and Love & Theft are my favs.

Most definitely! I was disappointed in her most recent album though. Only cared for a handful of songs. I love all of Electra Heart and Froot though.
Yeah that opener on Froot "Happy" is amazing
Love & Theft is a great record. Street Legal is underrated!

@Ketamine Sun I agree it's semantics but I think it's more accurate to call an instrumental a "piece" like with classical. Is it really a song if you can't sing it?

There may be a strict definition of the word. But in general an instrumental or even a classical composition can be called a song.

As an example. Even though it is an instrumental, some people refer to Oscillate Wildly as a song in this thread...

There may be a strict definition of the word. But in general an instrumental or even a classical composition can be called a song.

As an example. Even though it is an instrumental, some people refer to Oscillate Wildly as a song in this thread...

If I strum a guitar seventeen times downwards and three upwards and call that piece of shit a 'song', then yeah, you can call an instrumental track a song.

You can record a fart and call it a song if you wanted to. It wouldn't be a song. There are no words. So, not a song.

This is a song:

Hi, f***face
I hate you
Please die
Pleeease

This isn't a song:

I love early Beatles, PPM is a great, raw record. Beatles in their purest form. You're tripping though the Lennon/McCartney are the greatest writing duo in modern music history...with a little help from their friends George Martin, Tavistock and William Shepard

They probably are the greatest duo...but Dylan is Dylan. He doesn’t really need songwriting partners.

I reckon one thing is when the California Son was in the shitty smiths and his early solo stuff, the California Son had to be told about Brittish history like Mooneck Air Disaster, Suffer Little Children, kickball references...etc because being from Moz Angeles, USA he knew nothing or didn't care to know about these topics. Steve Street and other foreigners gave him the material to sell records in Brittin fark arse chipper curry c*** twat inn nn nn n nn nn n it.

Bob Dylan's influence on John Lennon is unbelievable. It lasted for all of John Lennon's life after hearing The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, while The Beatles were in France.

Lennon mentions Dylan and "Mr Jones" in The Beatles' track, Yer Blues.

Lennon mentions Dylan/Zimmerman in his solo track, God.

Take a look at the cover for Dylan's The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan and compare the similarities with The Beatles' Abbey Road Cover. There are four similarities:

1 - Dylan is walking down the center of the road - The Beatles are walking across the road.
2 - The vehicle on the left of both covers is a Volkswagon.
3 - Lennon has his hands in his pockets just like Dylan.
4 - Lennon's left leg is forward. Just like Dylan's.

Also, Abbey Road features the track, I Want You (She's so heavy). Compare that track with Dylan's I Want You which is on Blonde on Blonde.

Dylan's North Country Blues - From the very first note; if you haven't heard this track before, you'll instantly think of Lennon's Working Class Hero.

Lennon also mentions Dylan in Give Peace A Chance:

Ev'rybody's talking 'bout
John and Yoko, Timmy Leary, Rosemary, Tommy Smothers, Bobby Dylan, Tommy Cooper
Derek Taylor, Norman Mailer, Alan Ginsberg, Hare Krishna, Hare, Hare Krishna

The Beatles playing Dylan's I Shall Be Released during their Let It Be sessions:

The Beatles playing Dylan songs. Including All Along The Watchtower, I Want You, Like A Rolling Stone and more:

"Dylan, as seminal innovator, has made Lennon and McCartney, Phil Ochs, and the Byrds possible, just as Lenny Bruce made Woody Allen possible. In so mass a media as juke boxes and records, Dylan’s effect is already deeper and more durable than Sinatra’s, Rodgers and Hammerstein’s, and Presley’s. Dylan Thomas put song back into poetry, and Bob Dylan has put poetry into song."

"Dylan, as seminal innovator, has made Lennon and McCartney, Phil Ochs, and the Byrds possible, just as Lenny Bruce made Woody Allen possible. In so mass a media as juke boxes and records, Dylan’s effect is already deeper and more durable than Sinatra’s, Rodgers and Hammerstein’s, and Presley’s. Dylan Thomas put song back into poetry, and Bob Dylan has put poetry into song."

Yeah,yeah,yeah. :sleeping:

But, Morrissey is still tops around here.

sorry

:tiphat:

Yeah,yeah,yeah. :sleeping:

But, Morrissey is still tops around here.

sorry

:tiphat:

I think Morrissey is sabotaging his own legacy. Every time a comment of his is posted on Morrissey Central, another nail is hammered into that legacy. His recent "galley slave" comment was unnecessary. Just like 99% of the shit that gets posted on there.

I think Morrissey is sabotaging his own legacy. Every time a comment of his is posted on Morrissey Central, another nail is hammered into that legacy. His recent "galley slave" comment was unnecessary. Just like 99% of the shit that gets posted on there.

:sleeping:

Yes a few others have that same opinion, and a lot don’t.

If you disagree with Morrissey’s thoughts or actions, then
I would advice for the sake of your own health not to visit Central, solo or any site that brings up the subject of Morrissey’s thoughts or actions.

It’s really that simple. The choice is yours.

:sleeping:

Yes a few others have that same opinion, and a lot don’t.

If you disagree with Morrissey’s thoughts or actions, then
I would advice for the sake of your own health not to visit Central, solo or any site that brings up the subject of Morrissey’s thoughts or actions.

It’s really that simple. The choice is yours.

I think maybe they're confusing galley slave with the slave trade. It wouldn't have been nice In Real Life, but it's mostly remembered in ancient epics.

I think maybe they're confusing galley slave with the slave trade. It wouldn't have been nice In Real Life, but it's mostly remembered in ancient epics.

"Ben-Hur

Let’s not mention the depiction of Jesus as a blue-eyed European in the 1959 epic Ben-Hur, starring Charlton Heston. There are plenty of other offensive images to go around, such as white actors in black face, depicting Arabs and the white horses vs. black horses in the famous chariot race scenes. On top of that, in a film about Christians, Romans, Egyptians, Hebrews and other groups, the film depicted none of them as Black."

Just to clear this one up for ya:

A galley slave is a slave rowing in a galley, either a convicted criminal sentenced to work at the oar, or a kind of human chattel, often a prisoner of war, assigned to his duty of rowing, or
A person who works very hard, typically performing menial or thankless tasks.

Nothing to do with what you mighta had in mind.

Back
Top Bottom