Assuming The Smiths/Morrissey are Your Favorite Artist...

Frank Zappa is #1 for music
Morrissey #1 for lyrics with Leonard Cohen close behind. (Cohen is a better writer with more meaningful words, but Morrissey is a better songwriter.

No one can compare with Zappa, it is far beyond anything anyone has done. Even lyrically he is amazing. Even his silliest most puerile lyrics tend to have great depth, biting social commentary, and surprising intelligence.

The Decemberists, Suede, Leonard Cohen, Joy Division, The Wedding Present, Peter Bradley Adams, David Ford - all beyond wonderful in their own way.

The Smiths are the only band that impacted my life, I don’t really give a shit about any other music, I can take it or leave it. There is some artists I enjoy, like James, REM, Micah P. Hinson, M.Ward, Richard Hawley, Radiohead, Sharon Van Etten, Martha Wainwright, none of them really stick with me tho, they’re out my head soon as the song has ended. The Smiths is a way of life.

The Smiths are the only band that impacted my life, I don’t really give a shit about any other music, I can take it or leave it. There is some artists I enjoy, like James, REM, Micah P. Hinson, M.Ward, Richard Hawley, Radiohead, Sharon Van Etten, Martha Wainwright, none of them really stick with me tho, they’re out my head soon as the song has ended. The Smiths is a way of life.

That's a strange way to view music.

That's a strange way to view music.

It makes perfect sense to me. The Smiths had such a strong aesthetic, encompassing everything from the artwork sleeves to literature, lifestyle, politics (!) - a 'way of life' is exactly how I'd put it. I've always thought it was why Smiths/Morrissey fans are so notoriously obsessive. I remember one NME writer saying something like, "When I was a kid, I had fist fights in the schoolyard over the Smiths...". Completely get it.

It makes perfect sense to me. The Smiths had such a strong aesthetic, encompassing everything from the artwork sleeves to literature, lifestyle, politics (!) - a 'way of life' is exactly how I'd put it. I've always thought it was why Smiths/Morrissey fans are so notoriously obsessive. I remember one NME writer saying something like, "When I was a kid, I had fist fights in the schoolyard over the Smiths...". Completely get it.

hofmann gets it, he’s just being a prick.

You mean ....

Morrissey gave such a strong aesthetic to The Smiths, encompassing everything from the artwork sleeves to literature, lifestyle, politics - a 'way of life' is exactly how I'd put it. I've always thought it was why Smiths/Morrissey fans are so notoriously obsessive.

:cool:

You mean ....

Morrissey gave such a strong aesthetic to The Smiths, encompassing everything from the artwork sleeves to literature, lifestyle, politics - a 'way of life' is exactly how I'd put it. I've always thought it was why Smiths/Morrissey fans are so notoriously obsessive.

Yes, exactly what I meant.

Elliott Smith.

I used to answer that question with The Replacements but I’d say Elliott now. Also high up there are PJ Harvey and Bob Forrest (from Thelonious Monster, The Bicycle Thief, and solo).

Also, just put up a very detailed Elliott Smith discography online for anyone interested (copied the Passions formatting a great deal since I don’t really know anything about making websites).

You mean ....

Exactly. That’s why one can only feel sorry for all these ‘ex-fans’ still frequenting this site everyday complaining about Morrissey..
Notoriously obsessive indeed:lbf:

I'm not disagreeing. I felt the same...when I was young.......but other music still meant an awful lot to me. I felt the same connection to Bruce Springsteen a couple of yrs before I got into the Smiths.

Back
Top Bottom