Article: "Morrissey Slams Jimmy Kimmel, Accuses Him of Making Fun of Gun Control, Depression, Obesit

morrissey sides with morrissey.... pitchfork are running with moz's recent comments about last nights show

Morrissey Slams Jimmy Kimmel, Accuses Him of Making Fun of Gun Control, Depression, Obesity - Pitchfork

Excerpt:

Morrissey has now issued the following statement in response to Kimmel:

'I was disappointed with last night’s Jimmy Kimmel Show wherein our smiling host managed to ridicule depression (70% of Americans suffer from depression according to the National Institute of Mental Health). He then found time to ridicule healthy eating (the obesity epidemic in the U.S. costs $147 billion per year in medical expenditure), and he also ridiculed the notion that animals should be entitled to the possession of their own lives. Furthermore, he found time to jokingly promote gun-ownership - hugely amusing for the parents at Sandy Hook, no doubt. He also promoted his special guests Duck Dynasty – who kill beings for fun. None of the above issues are, of course, as important as Jimmy Kimmel himself, who has finally revealed his show to have an overwhelming loss of meaning. Tune in and relive the intellectual fog of the 1950s.'

UPDATE Feb. 28, 12:30 AM PT:

Uncleskinny posted the response on Jimmy Kimmel's Twitter with a link to the cover of You Are The Quarry:

@jimmykimmel - 2:50 PM - Feb 27, 2013

note to Morrissey - if you have more dumb statements to make, I invite you to make them where I do, on my show http://pic.twitter.com/6QOc5uV4O7

kimmel_tweet_20130227.jpg

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: "Morrissey Slams Jimmy Kimmel, Accuses Him of Making Fun of Gun Control,

This has to be the singularly lamest group of sentences that fop has uttered in two decades.

Re: Article: "Morrissey Slams Jimmy Kimmel, Accuses Him of Making Fun of Gun Control,

Don't you say that on every thread?

Unfortunately yeah, it's getting that way. An artist I once deeply admired for his nuanced wit and untouchable way with words has gradually reduced himself to the level of garden variety butt-hurt, acne-ridden teenage girl who didn't get asked to the prom.

Last edited by a moderator:

There's a colossal difference between tongue-in-cheek hyperbole and actual real-life slaughter. But I appreciate that such subtleties don't suit the anti-Moz vendetta relentlessly pursued by this one big troll of a website.

Kimmel made a joke, Morrissey assigned his own meaning to said joke. Morrissey also has made jokes. I am in fact offended by none of the jokes made by either party. Did you see the video? Kimmel said he respected Moz's stance 2x and really the jokes were soft balls. A comedy based talk show is Kimmel's job and thus he would be expected to say something. Morrissey's jokes in the past were hyperbole and his response to Kimmel was hyperbolic.

Kimmel made a joke, Morrissey assigned his own meaning to said joke. Morrissey also has made jokes. I am in fact offended by none of the jokes made by either party. Did you see the video? Kimmel said he respected Moz's stance 2x and really the jokes were soft balls. A comedy based talk show is Kimmel's job and thus he would be expected to say something. Morrissey's jokes in the past were hyperbole and his response to Kimmel was hyperbolic.

It's not a question of disliking what Morrissey said being analogous to taking offense to it. I'm not offended by what he said, just think it's moronic. I don't care if it's hyperbole or not; it's stupid and he meant it. Kimmel is, as you noted, a comedian. He may or may not stand behind his writer's jokes; chances are he at least agrees with them enough to agree to tell them on TV, for a laugh. But the thing is, Morrissey's been on his show several times. He knows the kind of guy Kimmel is...I mean Christ, he used to be on The Man Show.

It's just more attention-seeking vitriol, spurred on by the Duck Dynasty thing. I think it's funny that the more civil and tolerant that DD and Kimmel are of Morrissey's rants, and the more they turn the other cheek instead of playing Morrissey's game, the more pissy Morrissey gets.

Jesus he's an idiot in the press these days.

It's a pretty simple point that people make all time. It's essentially that we live in violent world which we largely turn a blind eye to, but then get upset about other kinds of violences. It is similar to people who brought up the point that while Obama was rightfully very saddened by the Sandy Hook children, he doesn't seem very remorseful about killing children in Pakistan, Yemen, etc. with his drone strikes or that while Americans were rightfully horrified by 9/11 they don't seem to mind that their government routinely inflicts similar violence on people elsewhere in the world.

Of course, I am assuming you are omnivore and therefore don't equate human lives with the lives of non-human animals. I am not going to belabor the point or say that you are even necessarily wrong. I am going to point out that Morrissey in his mind does equate the two, so he's clearly not trying to be offensive or denigrate or mock the victims in Norway. So regardless of your opinion on animal rights I don't really see the need to join the yellow corporate press in flagellating Morrissey.

Really well put , Chip....

I wonder if Ellen will invite him on her show? She's also an animal advocate.

And gay too!

Kimmel does have a point. If you're going to refuse to be on Kimmel, how can you justifiably be on any TV show that inevitably will have a commercial for a meat slinging corporation? He wouldn't be able to leave his house ever again if he wanted to stay absolutely true to his principles.

Also, the outrage at those tame jokes is embarrassing. I don't know how he could possibly think those jokes were pro-gun/ridiculed depressed people. They weren't that funny, but to take offense to them is a senseless waste of time.

Last edited:

He knows the kind of guy Kimmel is...I mean Christ, he used to be on The Man Show.

I'm surprised it took three pages for someone to point that out... Frankly, I've never been a fan of JK because I've always thought that show was totally obnoxious, and it's what I know him from originally.

Even if he hasn't seen/heard of TMS (wouldn't doubt that), he still knows what JK is like on his own show. I am of two minds about the situation, really, but I can't add anything that hasn't been expressed on all sides of the argument already, so I'll just leave it at that.

Either way, I can be happy I didn't really miss anything since I forgot to tune in.

comedian makes fun of stuff... SHOCK!!

Wow Morris is taking this situation way too seriously! Jimmy was not out of line in any respect! Morris you suck

its kinda cool morrissey recently outed himself as a gay man.
and yeah he should have done it sooner..
i would be equally pissed with the duckgate
ok i would like him to be serious commentator like others
oh but screw it - i have also had too many pinos...
he makes mad comments..
his recent songs suck ass
big time
but who gives a shit about kimmel and duck ppl
people (some of them) care about morrissey...
so he transcends

It's a pretty simple point that people make all time. It's essentially that we live in violent world which we largely turn a blind eye to, but then get upset about other kinds of violences. It is similar to people who brought up the point that while Obama was rightfully very saddened by the Sandy Hook children, he doesn't seem very remorseful about killing children in Pakistan, Yemen, etc. with his drone strikes or that while Americans were rightfully horrified by 9/11 they don't seem to mind that their government routinely inflicts similar violence on people elsewhere in the world.

Of course, I am assuming you are omnivore and therefore don't equate human lives with the lives of non-human animals. I am not going to belabor the point or say that you are even necessarily wrong. I am going to point out that Morrissey in his mind does equate the two, so he's clearly not trying to be offensive or denigrate or mock the victims in Norway. So regardless of your opinion on animal rights I don't really see the need to join the yellow corporate press in flagellating Morrissey.

You assume incorrectly. I don't eat meat and haven't done for 30 years.

P.

How on earth did Morrissey manage to turn a principled stand into a dopey catfight? Ludicrous. It seems to me he expected Kimmel to dump the Ducks and when it didn't happen got upset about it.

I always assumed the Quarry cover is a nod not to modern gun culture but to the famous Sir Winston Churchill photograph.

photo-28.gif

How many dead animals are being served up at the Staples Center tonight?

Note to Steven Patrick: Jimmy Kimmel didn't make fun of depression. He made fun of you. Which should not come as a surprise, seeing as he is a comedian. And he made fun of you in a far kinder, more respectful way than you set yourself up for with your incredibly pompous twaddle about how your anxious fears for your reputation prevented you from participating. Which I hope someone you trust have the balls to tell you. Not that any of this matters - you are still our godlike genius. :)

Spot on, it really isn't difficult to understand, some will love an excuse to stick the boot in though

I guess we will never see Morrissey on Kimmel ever again.
Morrissey is going to run out of tv outlets to go on.

Brilliant ! Fight, fight ,fight ! Your move Morrissey.
The backing track to this fight shall be 'Your gonna need' (Arsenal)
Last man standing shall take the belt !

Remember Morrissey books don't kill, books are'nt stanley knives ! Come on Moz you can do this finish it because your from Salford "School of hard knocks" now show him what your made of and stop talking about all this gay soldiers/peace and war crap. You are Morrissey get in there and finish him good style !

Ding ding "Round two"

Ann Coates

Goal: Don the pantomime wig, churn out a few arbitrarily “controversial” statements to get the tabloids frothing and take the spotlight off Marr for a while.

Mission accomplished.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom