Appropos of Nothing, Fred Armisen on The Smiths in Rolling Stone

Hoping for a Smiths reunion, but being realistic about it.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...dup-for-drummers-devo-documentary-now-774730/

Excerpt posted by SuedeMoz:

Random question: Would you rather see a Smiths reunion or a Talking Heads reunion?
Oh, shoot. Shoot. I think a Smiths reunion because the Talking Heads reunited for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Sure, but it was three songs 17 years ago.
Yeah, but you can see what it looked like. That’s something. To me, because the Smiths seems more impossible, that’s why it’s like, “Oh, my God.” People would freak out. Can you imagine the venue they would play? I actually think they could play a football stadiums.

I think they could do 20 nights at Wembley Stadium, minimum.
Yeah! People would freak out!

I think these are beefs that go back decades and often they are tied up in legal issues that really cause insane bitterness. With the Smiths, there’s the added factor that Morrissey is just completely inflexible about everything.
Yeah. That’s different. The Smiths, not only do we want them to do a reunion, everyone understands how much they don’t want to do it. It’s not going to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Kenmare thanks for posting. Worth reading, but in case you want to skip to the excerpts...

Random question: Would you rather see a Smiths reunion or a Talking Heads reunion?
Oh, shoot. Shoot. I think a Smiths reunion because the Talking Heads reunited for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Sure, but it was three songs 17 years ago.
Yeah, but you can see what it looked like. That’s something. To me, because the Smiths seems more impossible, that’s why it’s like, “Oh, my God.” People would freak out. Can you imagine the venue they would play? I actually think they could play a football stadiums.

I think they could do 20 nights at Wembley Stadium, minimum.
Yeah! People would freak out!

I think these are beefs that go back decades and often they are tied up in legal issues that really cause insane bitterness. With the Smiths, there’s the added factor that Morrissey is just completely inflexible about everything.
Yeah. That’s different. The Smiths, not only do we want them to do a reunion, everyone understands how much they don’t want to do it. It’s not going to happen.

magazines have space to fill.this will be regurgitated till either Morrissey or marr pop their clogs.

And still, with a bit of tactical skills and goodwill on both sides I think it is still possible.

"They" don't...hmmmm. Once again the use of words like they, we, and everyone used to stretch a point beyond sanity. There is only one person maybe two blocking a reunion and "we" know who they are.

It is more likely that Moz would take a potential contract around to Mike to show him the money involved, rip it in half in his face and laugh then of signing it.

Fek blood I reckon ya'll using the word "beef" when referencing The California Son is a poppy cock c*** tit thick wacker. Ya'll reckon 99.9% of you loonies can't go outside until June so you have a lot of time on your hands, but you need to stop fantasizing about "contracts" and "Wombley Stadium" and take down the Stanford Boys Club poster you still have above your bed from 1984. There is no amount of pasta, tacos, basketballs, orange mocha frappucinos, surfboards, or jet skis that would make The California Son do a "reunion". Wake up. His time in the Smiths was the worst time in his life.

Fred. :)

Can ya imagine the amount of money The Smiths would rake in with a reunion?
Good thing Moz has to much dignity to do it.
These other rootie-toot entertainers would do it in a heartbeat.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom