Answer me this

Re: Answer me this..

.. if someone is genuinely, medically depressed, is it insensitive and wrong to tell them to "cheer up!"? Or is it a natural, acceptable reaction for a 'normal' person to have to a person who is depressed?

I have my reasons for asking.

Opinions, please.

For someone who isn't in that position, they most likely do not have a full grasp of the condition.
Therefore to say ''oh just snap out of it and you'll be alright'' or ''don't let it get you down'' just doesn't do any good and the more ''advice'' offered, the worse it gets no matter how well intentioned the comments are.
It's not wrong or right, just ill informed.

Jukebox Jury

.. if someone is genuinely, medically depressed, is it insensitive and wrong to tell them to "cheer up!"? Or is it a natural, acceptable reaction for a 'normal' person to have to a person who is depressed?

Opinions, please.

i'd say so.

Opinions, please.

It sounds insensitive for the depressed person, even though you might not mean like that. It won't help.

I don't think it's a big problem though, because it's just as easy to say something that isn't insensitive in any way. Like "I'm sorry about your situation", "I hope things will get better for you", "I do care about you"...and preferably also mean it.

It's probably a normal reaction for people to tell someone to cheer up, but it makes the
depressed person feel worse. Because they want to cheer up more than anything, but
can't.

I suppose it comes down to some people still not really recognizing depression or not wanting to. It's far easier to just say cheer up and make light of it and brush it all under the carpet, hoping it's a phase and it will just go away (hopefully it will).
There's still a lot of stigma attached to mental illness, so a lot suffer in silence.

Back
Top Bottom