An REM thread for r.e.m. stuff

Amazing, many thanks for your help. By chance maybe you also have So. Central Rain (Live) from Animal CD single?

I'm looking for a recording of REM's first appearance at Maxwell's in Hoboken, NJ on January 30, 1982. If anyone can help me out, I would be very grateful. Thank you very much.

The file is down, can you re-upload it? So. Central Rain is one of my favorites and I love hearing different the live versions available. Thanks in advance.

Can anyone tell me the difference between At My Most Beautiful studio version and the "Radio Remix" I'm listening to an old rip of the remix I had and I'm starting to suspect its just the studio version ripped.
Time stamp examples if possible. Thanks.

Can anyone tell me the difference between At My Most Beautiful studio version and the "Radio Remix" I'm listening to an old rip of the remix I had and I'm starting to suspect its just the studio version ripped.
Time stamp examples if possible. Thanks.
After listening to both versions, I can safely say that the "Radio Remix" is indeed the studio version, same length and everything. Maybe a better-trained ear might be able to find a difference, but to me they sound identical. So if they're both the same, the question now becomes why is it labeled a "Radio Remix"? After digging-around on the internet a bit, I found that the "Radio Remix" first appeared on the UK CD single. Usually with CD singles, the first track is the original version, followed by any edits, remixes or live versions. With this single however, the first track is the "Radio Remix", and the other two tracks are live performances of other songs. So... here are my possible explanations...
  • They had a true "Radio Remix" made, but accidentally put the studio version on the disc.
  • There was a miscommunication with the publisher who thought the studio version was a "Radio Remix".
  • The publisher intentionally lied and labeled it as a "Radio Remix" in order to boost sales of the single.
I think the first one is the most-likely, because why would they intentionally release the studio version; which has an extended-ending, as a single meant to be played on the radio? Radio stations want their songs to be as short as possible, and will often end songs early.

After listening to both versions, I can safely say that the "Radio Remix" is indeed the studio version, same length and everything. Maybe a better-trained ear might be able to find a difference, but to me they sound identical. So if they're both the same, the question now becomes why is it labeled a "Radio Remix"? After digging-around on the internet a bit, I found that the "Radio Remix" first appeared on the UK CD single. Usually with CD singles, the first track is the original version, followed by any edits, remixes or live versions. With this single however, the first track is the "Radio Remix", and the other two tracks are live performances of other songs. So... here are my possible explanations...
  • They had a true "Radio Remix" made, but accidentally put the studio version on the disc.
  • There was a miscommunication with the publisher who thought the studio version was a "Radio Remix".
  • The publisher intentionally lied and labeled it as a "Radio Remix" in order to boost sales of the single.
I think the first one is the most-likely, because why would they intentionally release the studio version; which has an extended-ending, as a single meant to be played on the radio? Radio stations want their songs to be as short as possible, and will often end songs early.
My observations:
- The radio remix is indeed a remix, but not a very radical one. For me, the most noticable difference is that the snare drum rolls during the chorus sound softer than the album version.
- Usually with CD singles, the first track is the single version, which could be radically different from the album/original version. R.E.M. mostly used album versions for singles though.
- The commercial single releases don't always include the version meant for radio airplay (see Suspicion or I'll Take The Rain for obvious examples: radio edit only found on the promotional snigle), although in this case, the name "radio remix" heavily suggests it was meant for airplay as well.

Thanks for the replies, love little details like that. I also wanted to hop back onto this thread and mention to everyone to checkout BaldAndroid on Youtube for some AWESOME remixes/unmixes for R.E.M. Been loving all his uploads and hearing all the little things lost in the mixes.

Hey all! I'm looking for a few rarities to fill in my collection. Anyone have copies of:

What's the Frequency Kenneth? (Live, Duluth, GA, 2004)
There She Goes Again (Live - 7/13/83 Boston)
Gardening at Night live jan 1984
(Don't Go Back To) Rockville (Live Theater El Dorado, 1984)
Wolves, Lower (Live Theater El Dorado, 1984)
Can't Get There From Here (Extended Mix)
What's The Frequency, Kenneth?/I Took Your Name/Crush With Eyeliner minute medley (promo)

Hey all! I'm looking for a few rarities to fill in my collection. Anyone have copies of:

What's The Frequency, Kenneth?/I Took Your Name/Crush With Eyeliner minute medley (promo)

Do you have where these come from? Are they on official releases?

This one was a b-side. I have it here, but it's a bit difficult to access right now (on an external HD while I'm working on other stuff).

These are not b-sides and seem to be random live songs from unknown origin. If they have something particular about them, I'd love to know.

I've never heard of these and would love to get them as well.

UPDATE: according to Wikipedia,
1596043646411.png
There is the opposite, tho, an edit version from the 7" single. I'm not sure, but I think I have that one.

Last edited:
Do you have where these come from? Are they on official releases?

I found them listed on the REM Discography Page (http://orangefox.svs.com/rem/discog.html)

It says There She Goes Again is a bonus track on the Dutch Murmur rerelease and Gardening at Night is from the Dutch Dead Letter Office rerelease. Can't Get There From Here (Extended Mix) is from the UK/Dutch 12 vinyl single, and the minute medley from a promo called "The September 1994 Guide". Kenneth is from the Electron Blue single.

And it looks like I misread the Rockville and Wolves entry. Live versions of 9-9 and Gardening are included on the UK/Dutch 12" singles. Only those last two tracks are live from Paris, not all four.

It says There She Goes Again is a bonus track on the Dutch Murmur rerelease and Gardening at Night is from the Dutch Dead Letter Office rerelease. Can't Get There From Here (Extended Mix) is from the UK/Dutch 12 vinyl single, and the minute medley from a promo called "The September 1994 Guide". Kenneth is from the Electron Blue single.

And it looks like I misread the Rockville and Wolves entry. Live versions of 9-9 and Gardening are included on the UK/Dutch 12" singles. Only those last two tracks are live from Paris, not all four.
"There She Goes Again" - misread information, it's the regular version from the b-side of the I.R.S. "Radio Free Europe" single, Dead Letter Office etc
Only 9-9 and Gardening At Night are from the Boston show on that CD.
The linked site says: " Dutch re-issue has bonus tracks There She Goes Again,9-9 (Live - 7/13/83 Boston), Gardening At Night (Live -7/13/83 Boston, and Catapult (Live - 6/27/84 Seattle)" - note the lack of "(Live - 7/13/83 Boston)" after There She Goes Again

"Can't Get There From Here (Extended Mix)" = album version, as linked above. It was edited for the 7" release, that shorter version can also be found on the "Singles Collected" compilation CD

"Gardening at Night" (from the Dutch Dead Letter Office rerelease) - that's not an "in concert" live version, it's the acoustic version recorded during the Reckoning sessions, not to be confused with the slow but electric version

I have a question about Hyena...the demo on the Fables reissue; is that the same version as the one on Complete IRS Rarities? Also, there's a more electric sounding demo version on the Pageant reissue, right? I still need to play all the alternate versions back to back but I was a little confused because I think the Spotify listing for the Fables reissue calls it the "Pageant version"...but the Pageant demo is a different demo. Not sure if this was just lazy tagging or what.

The Hyena on the Fables 25th Anniv and the one on Pageant 25th Anniv are VERY different sounding. The Pageant one has "harder/grungier" sounding guitar. But both of them are slower than the official released version on Pageant.
I don't have the one from the Complete IRS Rarities to compare however, because I assumed I already had it elsewhere...
Let us know if you do a side by side listen.

Tags
r.e.m. rem
Back
Top Bottom