An REM thread for r.e.m. stuff

Yes, they do. It's at www.remhq.com

Here they are, the Rhythmic Studios (with Elliot Mazer) Reckoning demos. These are FLAC files in two parts (because sendspace couldn't handle one big RAR):

part 1: https://www.sendspace.com/file/0owx8j
part 2: https://www.sendspace.com/file/5h9i28

Here they are, the Up rough mixes (MP3 files, John Keane Studios, 6 August 1998). Courtesy of megatroptimus: https://www.sendspace.com/file/um0eoq

Thank you so much, theinsurgent!

Welcome to our corner, Anon. First off, you can always register! :)

As for uploading, I guess I can only recommend my own preferences. I'd rip the files in FLAC. It's not hard, but you got to know a thing or two about ripping and encoding without any loss. Then, I normally save the files as just "number name.flac" (as in "01 Finest Worksong.flac"). Some people need a checksum file and a rip report along with the files, but I'm not sure how to make those. Some ripping tools have that option. And finally, I usually upload my stuff to www.sendspace.com . The service stores the file only temporarily (a week, I think), so I'd be happy to know of a free service that works kinda the same and with no time constraints. You are prompted to fill two email addresses, but you can fill both with your own and then just paste here the direct link to the file when you get the notification emails.

It would be great to listen to a new bootleg while we wait for the distorted version of "Automatic" with a bonus disc. Thank you in advance!

3 kids?? You're nuts, man! haha

Gargumma, thank you so much for the Mazer demos!!!

Besides r.e.m.IX, and R.E.M.'s own remixes, are there ANY remixes that should be considered official?

I'm sure these are official releases:

Alligator_Aviator_Autopilot_Antimatter (Dickey Doo Larry Tee A3 Remix)
Blue (Casey Spooner + Avan Lava Remix)

Unsure of this:

Animal (Dickey Doo Remix)

This CLAIMS to be:

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion (Aiman Beretta Mixshow Edit)

"With Warner's blessing to give it an official release, we at #KULT #Records are very happy to bring this #progressive remake to you!"

This one appears to be SUPPORTED by R.E.M., but does that make it official?

REM - The One I Love (Joman Remix) Officially Supported by REM

This one likely is:

Losing My Religion (Africa Mix) [feat. R.E.M. & Ali Farka Touré Band]

Any of these?:

It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine) Remix – DJ Larry D
Losing My Religion (Aiman Beretta Remix)
Losing My Religion (Euromix)
Losing My Religion (Rod Layman's DMC Dance)
Nightswimming (Intruder Mix)
Shiny Happy People (Synthminx Remix)
The Great Beyond (Hybrid Remix)
The One I Love (Euromix)
Losing My Religion (lutzu istrate remix)

or any of the hundreds of others?

I'm all for adding OFFICIAL releases to my want list, but bootleg versions can wait until I finish up my last missing seventeen tracks!!

Thanks for any and all thoughts on the subject.

Sometimes I think I have a pretty good R.E.M. collection. Not the biggest, not complete, but a pretty good one. Oh sure, I have built mansions for the record company executives. I've let them sell me albums, and CD's, and Vintage CD's, and 25th Anniversary CD's, and Limited Edition CD's, and DVD-Audio Discs, and HDTracks downloads, and that's just the studio albums. Throw in some compilations, and live albums, and EP's, a soundtrack, a remix CD, iTunes downloads, box sets, VHS tapes, DVD's, interview discs, Fanclub issues, CD singles, CD promotional singles, some 45's and 12 inchers, a couple of three inch CD's, a mini disc, some cassettes, some Mobile Fidelity records, some rarity collection downloads, several Various Artist's compilations, and you think your collection is pretty good. Then you decide to collect every non-album track. Then you find out just how much you don't have. So you make a list and you work on it, and about 600 tracks in, you think your list is pretty good. Then you keep looking and then you're at 900 tracks. You go looking to verify a track that may be something you need only to find out that there is not just an Edit for that track on a promo CD, but another that has a Radio Edit. So you think to yourself, I guess I need to just look at EVERY release of EVERY single, and finalize that part of it once and for all. If you're still with me, we're getting to the purpose of the message, I swear. So just to be sure, you check the very first record, just for completeness sake you know, and then you realize, YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE A COPY OF THE FIRST RELEASE. Some collector I am,,,

So, can someone PLEASE post a FLAC of the original Johnny Hibbert release of Radio Free Europe, if you have one. I sure don't. I'm pretty sure I've never even HEARD it. Help a rookie out...

So, can someone PLEASE post a FLAC of the original Johnny Hibbert release of Radio Free Europe, if you have one. I sure don't. I'm pretty sure I've never even HEARD it. Help a rookie out...

Here's a version I've found on the web some years ago, the info file claims it really IS the first pressing, listen and find out for yourself:
https://www.mediafire.com/?rig7bck0m3j1bom

Some other things:

1, TIGHTEN UP
This song was recorded by R.E.M. live in the studio during the Reckoning sessions, I'm fairly confident that it's the only version by them. It was first released on a flexidisc with a magazine in 1985 (see: https://www.discogs.com/R-E-M-Tighten-Up/master/996024 ), then apparently it found its way onto the compilation LP mentioned above, and reached a wider release in the early 90's when EMI Europe included it as a bonus track on the "I.R.S. Years Vintage" series CD edition of Reckoning.

2, REMIXES
From the list above, I only view AAAA and Blue as official remixes, maybe Animal by a stretch, but I'm quite certain that none of the others have anything to do with the band. People can claim whatever they want on soundcloud to make you listen to their work, until I see any proof from the band / management / record company themselves, I have no reason to change my mind.
Just to clarify, an official remix - for me - means that it was comissioned by the band / management / record company, who gave the original multitracks to that artist to make a remix, not someone ripping the tracks from Guitar Hero and play around with them, regardless of the result.
I'm not sure what you meant by R.E.M.'s own remixes - to the best of my knowledge, they didn't do any themselves. Anyway, here's a list of the official remixes (not counting versions that are slightly different or earlier takes, e.g. MoveOn mix of Final Straw, the Oxford American version of Why Not Smile or the original version of The Lifting etc.) that I'm aware of, excluding R.E.M.ix:

Finest Worksong
- other mix
- lengthy club mix
- mutual drum horn mix
- media version (I've never heard this one, but my guess would be something very similar to other mix / mutual drum horn mix)

Shiny Happy People
- music mix
- pop mix
- hip mix

Radio Song
- tower of Luv Bug mix
- monster mix

Drive
- primary remix
- secondary remix

King Of Comedy
- 808 State remix
- 808 State instrumental

Leave
- new version

Lotus
- weird mix

Alligator_Aviator_Autopilot_Antimatter
- Dickey Doo Larry Tee A3 remix

Blue
- Casey Spooner + Avan Lava remix

Thanks inyourroom for your thoughtful reply. The "R.E.M.'s own remixes" was my inaccurate reference to the tracks you listed. I assumed that what you believe is probably the general consensus, but I don't have near the knowledge that many of you here have, so I thought I would ask for opinions other than my own. I appreciate you taking the time to share your expertise with me.

I had a feeling that Tighten Up could be an already available version, but short of buying the album to find out, I definitely was looking for someone that might steer me in the right direction, so I appreciate that as well.

And finally a HUGE thanks for the Radio Free Europe track. I have listened to it, but I haven't made any comparisons to the Easter 81 mix or the Murmur version. But I will! The info sounds like it's what I was looking for, and that's awesome!

I had purchased these before, but had misplaced all of them, finally found them, so I'll be ripping them soon. Let me know if you need something...

Crush With Eyeliner (1997 Live On Letterman Compilation) Live On Letterman
Drive (Live in Oslo 10/25/2003) For The Lady
Electrolite (Live 08/06/97) Tibetan Freedom Concert
Final Straw (MoveOn Mix) “Future Soundtrack for America” Future Soundtrack for America
Losing My Religion (Live 04/13/91) Saturday Night Live: The Musical Performances, Volume 2
Pretty Persuasion (Live Red Rocks soundcheck 2003) Carved in Stone: Live at Red Rocks Volume Two

My want list is getting smaller as my bank account is too :p, I have a few things I am still looking for, but I don't want to ask for all at once, so I am trying to offer some things before I make requests. I hope that is acceptable. I think there are about ten tracks still on my list that were posted here at some point but I missed, so hopefully someone might share them. As always, FLAC is my goal, but lossy will work if that's all there is. Thanks in advance.

Losing My Religion “KBCO Studio C, Volume 15” (Live Red Rocks 2003)
Bad Day (Live In Spain 05/28/2005) Video from Wanderlust 2
Let Me In (Live) “Wuxtry Record LP” from Wuxtry Record LP

Last edited:
I really tried my best with Loch Lomond. Hope it was worth it.

Thanks for the up running mixes - amazing all of them! Lotus hooligan mix is amazing

I wonder if anyone has something similar for around the sun?

BM

Could someone please post the FLAC version of REM Megamix 2005? I have tried joining the tracks into one track several times with different programs but can't seem to get it perfect without some kind of glitch in the transition. The MP3 version that came with the cue is perfect, but I can not recreate one without a hiccup. Thanks.

Thanks a lot, inyourroom, for that early version of RFE. I don't think I've ever listened to that before. I just had a chance to compare the two versions, and to be honest I'm not sure how they differ from each other. Still very confused about which is which. The best I could notice was that the Hibbert version sounds as muffled and lifeless as Peter Buck himself must have found it then, but, that aside, the changes in the newer mix must not have been that insanely obvious overall. Also, the Easter version (on Eponymous) has that synth intro. I'd love to know of everyone's further impressions and clarifications. Please, do share!

As for Tighten Up, thanks for the clarification. That does make sense.

I'll also subscribe to the whole reply on the subject of remixes. I was about to post something similar the other day, and you beat me to it with aplomb. Maybe there are even more "official" remixes, but I never cared about them anyway...

Here they are. Two of them could not be made into real FLAC: http://www.mediafire.com/file/vn42tanl7xuujjo/three+rare+tracks.rar

I really tried my best with Loch Lomond. Hope it was worth it.

Thanks for the up running mixes - amazing all of them! Lotus hooligan mix is amazing

Thank you for those, BM! And you're welcome.

1983-05-21 - Navy Island, St. Paul, MN

Thank you for that, theinsurgent. I still have to listen to the files, but a good sounding new show is always welcome.

Could someone please post the FLAC version of REM Megamix 2005?

Here it is, that crazy Megamix in FLAC. Enjoy: http://www.mediafire.com/file/dwomttucjmvza22/Megamix+2005.rar

theinsurgent said:
Here they are. Two of them could not be made into real FLAC: http://www.mediafire.com/file/vn42tanl7xuujjo/three+rare+tracks.rar

Thank you for that, theinsurgent. I still have to listen to the files, but a good sounding new show is always welcome.

Here it is, that crazy Megamix in FLAC. Enjoy: http://www.mediafire.com/file/dwomttucjmvza22/Megamix+2005.rar
Thanks a lot, inyourroom, for that early version of RFE. I don't think I've ever listened to that before. I just had a chance to compare the two versions, and to be honest I'm not sure how they differ from each other. Still very confused about which is which. The best I could notice was that the Hibbert version sounds as muffled and lifeless as Peter Buck himself must have found it then, but, that aside, the changes in the newer mix must not have been that insanely obvious overall. Also, the Easter version (on Eponymous) has that synth intro. I'd love to know of everyone's further impressions and clarifications. Please, do share!

As for Tighten Up, thanks for the clarification. That does make sense.

I'll also subscribe to the whole reply on the subject of remixes. I was about to post something similar the other day, and you beat me to it with aplomb. Maybe there are even more "official" remixes, but I never cared about them anyway...

Thanks for the new tracks gargumma, they are truly appreciated!! And I am always happy to provide some new shows. Thanks again!

Last edited:
I have a few more CD's coming, if you need anything, let me know and I will post them for you.

Gentle on My Mind (Live 06/12/2001) from KCRW Sounds Eclectic: The Covers Project
Bad Day (Radio Edit) from Bad Day Promo
Suspicion (Radio Edit) from Suspicion Promo (CD)
Bittersweet Me (Memphis Soundcheck 11-07-1995) from The '97 Brit Awards

Also, if anyone has these, I would appreciate it.

Bad Day (Live 2003) from Austin City Limits Music Festival: 2003
Boy In The Well (Live London Sept 2004) from Uncut Magazine
Daysleeper (Single Edit)
I've Been High from KFOG 104.5 - 97.7 Live from the Archives 9

Thanks!

One more question. Has anyone been able to make a copy of

Driver 8 (Live 06-14-1984, The Cutting Edge Second Take)

from When The Light Is Mine? It is a hidden extra and I can't figure out how to find it and rip it.

I love the amazing stuff people are sharing on this forum!
Does anyone by any chance have a recording from the Move Festival in Manchester, 13th July 2003?

Thanks in advance!

I love the amazing stuff people are sharing on this forum!
Does anyone by any chance have a recording from the Move Festival in Manchester, 13th July 2003?

Thanks in advance!
Sorry sidewinder. I thought I had this but I do not. It was to be a part of the next trade before the great hard drive crash of 2015, from which I am still trying to recover. It's out there, so hopefully someone here has it for you.

Tags
r.e.m. rem
Back
Top Bottom