About Reel Around the Fountain

A

Anonymous

Hi! I was recently listening to "Reel around the fountain" from Youtube and found some random comment saying that there was a dance hall called The Fountain in 60s where the two Moors murderers sometimes went. Now, I know this sounds like absolute madness, and I know I shouldn't take it so serious, but could there be any truth in this? Because when you think it like that, it's very disturbing. I know, I know, I'm overreacting. But what do you think about it? I'm only putting this to here, because I feel this is the only place I can speak out.

No. The fountain in question was in the Stretford Arndale Centre, by a bar called "El Patio" which was known simply as The Patio.

The Old Stretford Arndale Shopping mall

http://untappedcities.com/category/globe-2/manchester/

'Besides Kingfisher, next to a strange little indoor patio area, in what is effectively a small tunnel (with a bizarre convex ceiling), lies another old unit but it’s hidden behind shutters and locked away to even the operations manager of the building. If you could get in there and pass through this unit into the next you’d find yourself in El Patio. One story about this closed down pub, and indeed the shopping centre, is that it’s the backdrop to The Smiths song Reel Around The Fountain. The fountain in question refers to a central water feature no longer installed in the mall (they also had fish tanks dotted around the centre) and the line “slap me on the patio” harks to the rough and ready nature of the customers who frequented El Patio.'

The Old Stretford Arndale Shopping mall

http://untappedcities.com/category/globe-2/manchester/

'Besides Kingfisher, next to a strange little indoor patio area, in what is effectively a small tunnel (with a bizarre convex ceiling), lies another old unit but it’s hidden behind shutters and locked away to even the operations manager of the building. If you could get in there and pass through this unit into the next you’d find yourself in El Patio. One story about this closed down pub, and indeed the shopping centre, is that it’s the backdrop to The Smiths song Reel Around The Fountain. The fountain in question refers to a central water feature no longer installed in the mall (they also had fish tanks dotted around the centre) and the line “slap me on the patio” harks to the rough and ready nature of the customers who frequented El Patio.'

There should be more on this history of morrissey, who by all accounts put himself about a lot in his late teens. The truth about morrissey well never come out while he's alive.
During my many trips to manchester ive met lots of people who remain on the payroll and when drunk the stories come out. sexless, none drug taking Morrissey is a myth

Back
Top Bottom