A (Intelligent) Late Night Argument About Sartre and Things

virtually dead

Simply Thrilled, Honey
Ok, I'm half-way through a bottle of wine and I thought it would be a giggle to provoke young half a person about Sartre (who she adores, more than me).
Our argument went as follows....it was msn

H: I'm trying to decide which sartre books to buy when I have money
V:Satre, Satre, Satre....Over-rated
V: (Let's fight over satre)
H: You just want a fight
V: Probably, We should start a thread on solo.
I'd probably just get a load of existentials telling me off
before they all go and get drunk and kill themselves because it's all so bloody.....superflouous
H: existentialism's inspiring!!
V:it is not
H: it is!
V: how on earth is it inspiring?
H: existence precedes essence, you create yourself, you decide what you are, everything is choice
That's inspiring
V:'it's awful, everything is meaningless, you're going to die....you're pointless, you're meaningless, i dont even like you, and i'm just as meaningless,
H: I love your interpretations...
V: i'm going to write a meaningless book....*image this in a very slow droll voice*
V:Thats how existentialism speaks

Ok...so after that insight into my fascinating msn conversations....what are your thoughts on this argument?
Bear in mind...I am winding her up....

Last edited:
Re: A (Intelligent) Late Night Argument About Satre and Things

Who is Satre? :confused:

Who is Satre? :confused:

French existentialist, he wrote Nausea (and that probably doesn't help at all, does it? :p)

And for the record, I do not adore Sartre more than I adore Virtually Dead! She's much better looking :o (not that that's actually that hard...)

I realise I spelt most of that title wrong....it's because I put 'intelligent' in it.....:o

I know who Sartre is...

I realise I spelt most of that title wrong....it's because I put 'intelligent' in it.....:o

You misspelled his name in the dialogue too. :p But to go back on topic, I really don't know his work, I preferred his mistress, Simone de Beauvoir.

I know who Sartre is...

Look, I've really getting quite drunk....don't expect me to spell his name right...I was on the right tracks :o

i prefer sartre's novels to his philosophical treatises. i've read the transcendence of the ego, being and nothingness and existentialism and humanism, and i think nausea explains existentialism in a far more concise, clearer way than any of them.

and i don't think either of you got it exactly right.

So, yesitis, would you describe yourself as a Existentialist?

And is your name from The Beatles' song? (I have to drag every conversation there....)

Look, I've really getting quite drunk....don't expect me to spell his name right...I was on the right tracks :o

It's okay dear, it's better than your adventure of last weekend... ;) I'm being very annoying, feel free to ignore me. :o

I just loved it when a character in Foam of the Days by Boris Vian was so obsessed with his works, that he kept on buying new copies. Like an obsessed Moz fan. :o

After my explanation or you just knew anyway and you were taking the piss...? :p

I'm old enough to know about him, so yes, I was just taking the piss, sorry. :o

Edit: Oh, OK, you were taking the piss out of angela, that's fine :p

Excuse me? You're a vegetarian, existentialist, anarchistic, tree-hugging communist....
If there was someone perfect for taking the piss out of....there would be you, standing in a field :D

So, yesitis, would you describe yourself as a Existentialist?

And is your name from The Beatles' song? (I have to drag every conversation there....)

i would describe myself as a person.

nah, my name comes from being drunk and choosing a username. i have no idea at all why i chose it.

Excuse me? You're a vegetarian, existentialist, anarchistic, tree-hugging communist....
If there was someone perfect for taking the piss out of....there would be you, standing in a field :D

I'm only a bit vegetarian, I'm not really an anarchist and I'm certainly not a tree hugger!

Now you on the other hand, you're a reclusive, misanthropic, anarchistic commie artist who intends to go to art school and then move to france to live in self exile while fulfilling her desire to create.

:p

*flings mud*

I'm only a bit vegetarian, I'm not really an anarchist and I'm certainly not a tree hugger!

Now you on the other hand, you're a reclusive, misanthropic, anarchistic commie artist who intends to go to art school and then move to france to live in self exile while fulfilling her desire to create.

:p

*flings mud*

Right, ok,.....let's not make this personnal...
This thread is about Sartre and thing like that, your forte! Not making fun of me....

Right, ok,.....let's not make this personnal...
This thread is about Sartre and thing like that, your forte! Not making fun of me....

You created this whole thread to wind me up :p I can wind you up a bit!

You created this whole thread to wind me up :p I can wind you up a bit!

That's a good enough premis for anything :D
What I can say good for Sartre was that he was a Marxist, but really Nausea just irritated me.....I know that yesitis already gave it a good review but what does anyone else think of it?

Back
Top Bottom