A genuine question about American sports

Dont get me started on the ''World Series'' (ie USA + Toronto):thumb:

Jukebox Jury

That reminds me, why do you call it The World Snooker Championship?

info about the term 'World Series'
The title of this championship may seem odd to some readers from countries where baseball is not a major sport (or even where it is), because the "World" Series is confined to the champions of two baseball leagues that currently operate only in the United States and Canada.
The explanation is that when the term "World's Championship Series" was first used in the 1880s, baseball at a highly-skilled level was almost exclusively confined to North America, especially the United States. Thus it was understood that the winner of the major league championship was the best baseball team in the world. The title of this event was soon shortened to "World's Series" and later to "World Series". "The Series", by itself, capitalized, is understood to mean "The World Series", in the appropriate context.
According to a Public Broadcasting Service Television documentary called Baseball or "Baseball: A Film by Ken Burns", baseball scholars/historians explained that team players eventually would search world-wide for players to compete in "World Games" or "World Series". While the effort failed and remained mostly in The United States and Canada, due to the diversity of nationalities with players who presently play baseball (although these games are only in North America now) it has remained "World Series" as a result of those early competitions. In these late 1800 and early 1900 competitions (the early days of baseball), players and sports equipment promoter Albert Spalding would travel the world for teams to play against other nations and/or America teams. These "tours" didn't last long, yet it also gave the opportunity to promote baseball and sporting goods, as well as create new leagues and rules.
The United States, Canada and Mexico (Liga Mexicana de Beisbol, established 1925) continued to be the only professional baseball countries until some decades into the 20th century. The first Japanese professional baseball efforts began in 1920. The current Japanese leagues date from the late 1940s. Various Latin American leagues also formed around that time.
By the 1990s, baseball was played at a highly skilled level in many countries, resulting in a strong international flavor to the Series, as many of the best players from the Pacific Rim, Latin America, the Caribbean, and elsewhere now play on Major League rosters. The notable exception is Cuban nationals, due to the political situation between the USA and Cuba (despite that barrier, over the years a number of Cuba's finest ballplayers have defected to the United States to play in the American professional leagues). Players from the Japanese Leagues also have a more difficult time coming to the Major Leagues because they must first play 10 years in Japan before becoming free agents. Reaching the high-income Major Leagues tends to be the goal of many of the best players around the world.
Early in 2006, Major League Baseball conducted the inaugural World Baseball Classic, to establish a "true" world's championship in the way the term is normally used for other international sports. Teams of professional players from 16 nations participated, and Japan won the first and second World Baseball Classic championship in 2006 and in 2009. Olympic baseball was instituted as a medal sport in 1992, but in 2005 the International Olympic Committee voted to eliminate baseball, and it will be off the Olympic program in 2012. Team USA did not qualify for the 2004 Olympics, and came in third in 2008. In the case of both the WBC and the Olympics, the USA typically does not field a first class team, as their focus is on the MLB regular season.
The World Series itself retains a US-oriented atmosphere. The title of the event is often presented on television as merely a brand name in the same sense as the Super Bowl, and thus the term "World Series Championship" is sometimes used. However, the origin of the term lives on, as with these words of Frank Thomas in the Chicago White Sox victory celebration in 2005: "We're world's champions, baby!" At the close of the 2006 Series, Commissioner Bud Selig pronounced the St. Louis Cardinals "champions of the world". Likewise, the cover of Sports Illustrated magazine for November 6, 2006, featured Series MVP David Eckstein and was subtitled "World Champions". Immediately after the final putout of the 2008 World Series, TV announcer Joe Buck stated, "Phillies are world champions."
Additionally, although originally an English sport, the entire world still tunes in or attends these games. Therefore, it still involves and incorporates the "world" in one way or another; either directly with players from different countries who play the sport, it being the name given in the early days as a result of competitions with foreign nations as well as present Olympic championships, or as a brand name for the "Fall Classic".

That reminds me, why do you call it The World Snooker Championship?

Firstly, I couldn't care less about a pub game called snooker. Secondly, ANY one from around the world can and has entered the competiton, where as only teams from USA and Toronto can enter the 'World Series'. London, Berlin or Sydney will never win baseball, where as someone from London, Berlin or Sydney could win snooker.:p

Jukebox Jury

Thanks Joy / McLovin
Here, the football club (and in the odd area, rugby club) is the centre of focus for the town / city..... the fans invest so much energy and emotion into it..... the club could simply not just upsticks and move..... there would be riots!
There were riots simply when the Glazers 'bought' man united!

Jukebox Jury

My city went crazy, I've never seen people here so pissed off as they were when the Browns were moved. No one here was happy. I didn't really care, but it would have sucked for the city not to have a team. Home games draw huge crowds.
That's why we got a new team with the same name.

Firstly, I couldn't care less about a pub game called snooker. Secondly, ANY one from around the world can and has entered the competiton, where as only teams from USA and Toronto can enter the 'World Series'. London, Berlin or Sydney will never win baseball, where as someone from London, Berlin or Sydney could win snooker.:p

Jukebox Jury

Firstly, I could give a crap about how you feel regarding Snooker. Secondly,
that's great that London, Berlin, or Sydney could win the stupid pub game.

I had a feeling what I posted would be too much reading for you.

According to a Public Broadcasting Service Television documentary called Baseball or "Baseball: A Film by Ken Burns", baseball scholars/historians explained that team players eventually would search world-wide for players to compete in "World Games" or "World Series". While the effort failed and remained mostly in The United States and Canada, due to the diversity of nationalities with players who presently play baseball (although these games are only in North America now) [it has remained "World Series" as a result of those early competitions.

Firstly, I could give a crap about how you feel regarding Snooker. Secondly,
that's great that London, Berlin, or Sydney could win the stupid pub game.

I had a feeling what I posted would be too much reading for you.

According to a Public Broadcasting Service Television documentary called Baseball or "Baseball: A Film by Ken Burns", baseball scholars/historians explained that team players eventually would search world-wide for players to compete in "World Games" or "World Series". While the effort failed and remained mostly in The United States and Canada, due to the diversity of nationalities with players who presently play baseball (although these games are only in North America now) [it has remained "World Series" as a result of those early competitions.

And you still can't read:thumb:

and good morning to you too, snowfallsoon:flowers:

Jukebox Jury

Tags
derekjeter<3
Back
Top Bottom