2010 Winter Olympics - Vancouver

winterolympicscopy.jpg

My dad was seriously hoping that Celine Dion would come out in a track suit and light the flame. :straightface: I informed him that she was not an athlete to which he replied "You try singing six nights a week in Vegas and tell me she's not an athlete." Okay dad. :rolleyes:

I thought the ceremony had a painfully slow start but was quite beautiful all in all, malfunctions included. And those people dancing for close to an hour...that was asking a bit much of them I thought. ;)

Nelly Furtado was the clear highlight for me on that opening ceremony.

Now let the Games begin!

I hope everything that possibly can go wrong with these Olympics does go wrong (apart from any more deaths, obviously).

I agree. I am completely boycotting the Olympics.

By the way, my reason behind it is the seal slaughter that Canada's government allows, defends, and encourages.

Boycotting the olympics or wishing nastiness upon the events because of seal slaughter is repulsive. These athletes have been working their asses off for years, they didn't pick the venue. Grow up.

Many of the events involve intensive training for one very specific skill. Years of a person's life taken up in the pursuit of personal glory in an event most people only remember exists when it's shown on TV.

What about requiring all participants to compete in a minimum of three disciplines, to show they are all-round athletes. And requiring all athletes to use the same standard equipment, to iron out equipment based advantage. ??

Many of the events involve intensive training for one very specific skill. Years of a person's life taken up in the pursuit of personal glory in an event most people only remember exists when it's shown on TV.

What about requiring all participants to compete in a minimum of three disciplines, to show they are all-round athletes. And requiring all athletes to use the same standard equipment, to iron out equipment based advantage. ??

These are all good ideas too. I guess my point is that it's about the athletes, not the venue. And though a sensitive subject that needs to be taken seriously, Canada is very rich in history and beauty beyond it's dark practice of slaughtering seals.

Tags
no1isstoppingu tempted2respond
Back
Top Bottom