Spring-Heeled Jim
Dagenham Dave
The Operation
Hold On To Your Friends
Now My Heart Is Full
Sunny
Speedway
The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils

This first date of Morrissey warming up audiences for David Bowie was a success, it was very positively reviewed in the press. Morrissey didn't seem satisfied with the crowd reception however, not all of the Bowie fans in the place enjoyed Morrissey's music. Security was very tight and only a few fans made it on stage despite many attempts.

"The National Front Disco" was planned but not played. Morrissey's set was considered too long for an opening act and that number had to be axed. At 14 songs actually performed, this was still the longest show of the Outside tour for Morrissey. As early as the next date, the setlist would fall to 13, and later to 12 songs. Six of the eight songs from the newest album "Southpaw Grammar" were played, plus new b-side "Nobody Loves Us" and upcoming non-album single "Sunny". The rest of the setlist was composed of five songs from the previous album "Vauxhall & I" and one from 1992's "Your Arsenal". Nothing older from the latter album was played, so obviously nothing from the Smiths days.

As Morrissey came on stage he exclaimed "Good evening, we're your support group... you are very welcome to Wembley!". This was obviously addressed to the David Bowie fans who, at this point, were probably still a minority in the venue. Before "Billy Budd" Morrissey tried to stir a little action by saying "I hope you feel extremely intimidated... no?" and then banged the microphone stand on the floor. After that song, to a fan asking him if he was well, he replied "Am I well? Mmm... (fan: you look great!) I look great do I? Mmm...".

Before "Dagenham Dave", Morrissey reassured the Bowie fans who were calling for their idol "It's okay, because we won't stay too long... and we hope that you enjoy David... and we're sure you will". The man was kept away from his microphone during the first chorus of the latter song. After "The Operation", because some fans were violently handled by security, Morrissey sarcastically said "I'd just like to say that I'm really pleased that you're being told that you have to stay in your seats, because otherwise you'd all trample yourselves to death and kill everybody, I'm sure... (fan: we would!) I don't think.."

Morrissey hummed some of the melody of "Now My Heart Is Full" before the song started. In it, he changed the first occurrence of the line "I'm tired again" to "I was tired again" and did sing the full "just some rain-coated lovers' puny brothers" (he often dropped 'puny', possibly to ease the vocal delivery of that line). Upcoming single "Sunny" was introduced with "This is our new s-s-single, and it's called s-s-'Sunny'". This turned out to be the only time "Sunny" was done on this tour. It would end up being sacrificed to meet the requested shortening of Morrissey's setlist. In set closer "The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils" Morrissey slightly stretched a line to "and in fact you think it's essential".

As was standard on the Boxers tour earlier that year, Morrissey threw a tambourine with something written on its skin into the audience. On this date the tambourine read 'ON THE BUSES' which was the name of a British sitcom in the 1970s.

BOOTLEGS

The manufactured bootleg cd "Practising Troublemaker" features "Sunny" and "Now My Heart Is Full" as bonus tracks to a full concert from 17 November 1995. The quality is reasonably good for an audience one. The bootleg also includes the audio of "The Boy Racer" and "Sunny" from UK television programme Later With Jools Holland (first broadcast on 11 November 1995).

The full concert is available on an audience recording of significantly inferior quality to the two tracks above. This is circulated on the internet as well as available to bootleg traders, occasionally under the title "So Unfair".

INFO from Passions Just Like Mine

Cheers very much as ever!

;) Great show...thank you once again Drifter...

A beaut! Thanks...

Back
Top Bottom